This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8696 / 55°52'10"N
Longitude: -4.2943 / 4°17'39"W
OS Eastings: 256538
OS Northings: 666431
OS Grid: NS565664
Mapcode National: GBR 0BH.LN
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.0QDM
Entry Name: Partick Bridge over River Kelvin
Listing Date: 9 September 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398868
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50583
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1876-8, manufacturer Hannah, Donald & Wilson of Paisley, engineers R B Bell & D Miller, contractor Hugh Kennedy. Single cast-iron arched road bridge with stone flood discharge tunnel to S. 4-centred arch formed of 9 ribs. Quatrefoil tracery pattern with shield motif to parapet. City of Glasgow Coat of Arms to spandrels. Abutments, piers and approach walls of red sandstone ashlar. Semi-octagonal towers reaching above the parapet at the abutments. Terminates with pair of large squat polygonal piers with stepped polygonal caps to NW and SE. 4 inset cast-iron panels to NE and SW with inscriptions mirrored (see Notes). Cast-iron lamps to approach walls dated 1994.
A good example of a cast-iron road bridge with a notable decorative quatrefoil tracery parapet. Bell & Miller were responsible for a number of cast-iron bridges in Glasgow including the Clyde Street Albert Bridge and the Great Western Road Bridge over the River Kelvin (both listed at category A). It forms a significant part of the streetscape in this area.
The inscriptions read, 'PARTICK BRIDGE FOUNDATION STONE LAID AD 1877 BY HUGH KIRKWOOD ESQ KILLERMONT' and 'PARTICK BRIDGE COMMENCED AD 1876 JOHN FERGUSON ESQ PROVOST OF PARTICK ENGINEERS R B BELL & D MILLER CONTRACTOR HUGH KENNEDY'.
The adjacent 'Snow Bridge' (see separate listing) carried traffic over the River Kelvin at Partick until this bridge was constructed.
The parallel lattice covered pipeway to the SW is part of the nearby Partick Sewage Pumping Station and carried steam to the Kelvin Hall (see separate listings).
Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising 10 Dumbarton Road, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block, Art Gallery and Museum and The Cameronians Monument.
Other nearby listed buildings