History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pitmedden Garden and Estate, Farmhouse (Former Laundry), Stable, Open Shed, Steading and Bothy

A Category C Listed Building in Mid Formartine, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3435 / 57°20'36"N

Longitude: -2.1932 / 2°11'35"W

OS Eastings: 388467

OS Northings: 828128

OS Grid: NJ884281

Mapcode National: GBR N9Y9.V6K

Mapcode Global: WH9PQ.8PV7

Entry Name: Pitmedden Garden and Estate, Farmhouse (Former Laundry), Stable, Open Shed, Steading and Bothy

Listing Date: 28 September 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398878

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50598

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Udny

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Mid Formartine

Parish: Udny

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Pitmedden

Description

Probably earlier to mid 19th century. Group of 4 core ancillary structures associated with Pitmedden Garden and Pitmedden House, and now run as museum complex. 2-storey, 3-bay former estate laundry (now fitted out as farmhouse); single storey and hayloft, 3-bay stable range (adjoining garage conversion which itself adjoins Pitmedden House); open shed and gabled, U-plan steading with bothy sited to N of beech walk. Squared rubble, coursed and snecked. Eaves courses, ashlar margins and chamfered arrises to stable and farmhouse. Voussoired, segmental cart arch to steading and decoratively capitalled cast iron columns to open shed. Ashlar-coped skews and slated roofs.

FARMHOUSE, FORMER LAUNDRY: symmetrical entrance elevation to S with widely-spaced bays. 12-pane glazing pattern in replacement timber sash and case windows, 1st floor windows slightly smaller than those at ground.

INTERIOR: museum display as farmhouse with boarded timber dadoes at ground, and fully boarded 1st floor bedrooms. Timber fire surrounds with cast iron horseshoe grates, and large stone fireplace with cast iron range to kitchen.

STABLE: symmetrical entrance elevation to E with centre door and flanking narrow lights with leaded diamond pattern glazing. Rear elevation with small opening to right comprising glazed panel over timber hopper, and row of 5 tiny openings close to eaves.

INTERIOR: ground floor retains cobbled setts with timber loose boxes and ironwork hay baskets.

OPEN SHED: simple half-gabled structure with stonework to end walls, slatted timber to rear and open E front supported on 3 cast iron columns.

STEADING AND BOTHY: simple U-plan steading with later range to N. Original steading with broad gabled range running EW, cart arch to W and slightly lower gabled projections to S.

Statement of Interest

These carefully preserved, simple traditional Aberdeenshire farming structures are associated with one of Scotland's finest walled gardens. The 'A' listed Pitmedden Garden, originally created by Sir Alexander Seton after 1675, was donated to the National Trust for Scotland in 1952 by Major James Keith. The formal garden is overlooked by the 'B' listed Pitmedden House as well as the Museum of Farming Life created within the Stable, Former Laundry, Open Shed and Steading. These few ancillary structures were (and to some extent still are) of the utmost importance in providing supporting services for the creation and maintenance of the formal garden as well as the surrounding designed landscape features which incorporate waterings, Lady Mary's Pond and Cascades, ornamental, commercial and native species woodland. Recent research suggests that some of thses buildings are sited on part of the 17th century courtyard attached to the earlier Pitmedden House.

The Museum of Farming Life displays a collection of 19th and 20th century farming implements presented to the Trust in 1977 by the trustees of William Cook of Little Meldrum, Tarves, as well as information on Major James Keith, chairman of the North of Scotland College of Agriculture, who was a keen agricultural improver. Together with other family members, James Keith took over a number of farms in Norfolk during the 1930s and 1940s, finally owning in excess of 10,000 acres. He was the author, in 1954, of a successful publication, Fifty Years of Farming.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.