History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rachan Wood, Memorial to Thomas Tweedie Including Enclosure Railings and Gate

A Category C Listed Building in Tweeddale West, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.598 / 55°35'52"N

Longitude: -3.3937 / 3°23'37"W

OS Eastings: 312275

OS Northings: 634699

OS Grid: NT122346

Mapcode National: GBR 43RQ.23

Mapcode Global: WH6V7.VK4C

Entry Name: Rachan Wood, Memorial to Thomas Tweedie Including Enclosure Railings and Gate

Listing Date: 4 October 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398880

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50604

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West

Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Find accommodation in
Broughton

Description

Circa 1855. Mausoleum of Thomas Stevenson Tweedie and his wife Benjamina. 3-bay symmetrical monument with ornate classical detailing, comprising sandstone ashlar rear wall with colonnaded front and sides. Polished granite incription panel to rear wall with panel above containing wreathed blind shield. 4 square-plan columns with Composite capitals surmounted by angelic heads supporting moulded architrave; winged globe to central bay. Large stone slabs to roof (see notes). Set within burial enclosure with dwarf boundary wall, railings and gate.

Statement of Interest

The Tweedie Memorial in a good example of monument architecture and is in an ornate classical style. It is evidence of the interest in elaborate funerary monuments that characterised much of the Victorian era. Although not large the memorial has a wealth of architectural details, most notably the Composite capitals and other carved detailing. This mausoleum is one of the last remaining structures of the Rachan House estate, the house itself was demolished in the 1920s. Thomas Stevenson Tweedie, having trained in Edinburgh, became Physician General to the East India Company. He was also the proprietor of an Indigo manufactory in Bengal. He returned to Scotland in the 1820s and, although he died at buried at Rachan in 1855. The memorial is currently in a poor state of repair and the roof over the right hand bay has Quarter, he was collapsed. (2006).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.