This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.665 / 55°39'54"N
Longitude: -2.7016 / 2°42'5"W
OS Eastings: 355960
OS Northings: 641500
OS Grid: NT559415
Mapcode National: GBR 92KY.X2
Mapcode Global: WH7WB.GWR0
Entry Name: Chapel on Leader House, Walled Garden
Listing Date: 4 October 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398885
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50607
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid 19th century rectangular-plan walled garden with partially derelict glass house and roofless former potting sheds. Extent of walls is roughly 99m x 53m. Whinstone rubble with sandstone ashlar copes and dressings. Raised wallhead with ball-finials to centre of N wall with lean-to glass house to inner face and lean-to potting shed / boiler house range to outer face. Potting shed fenestrated with alternating 12-pane sash and case windows and timber-boarded doors. Heating flues to outer face of N wall. Splayed wing walls at outer corners with obelisk finials. Cast-iron entrance gate at centre of S wall.
A good example of a mid 19th century walled garden built with heated walls and still retaining the potting shed range and a portion of the (probably later) glasshouses. It was built as the walled garden to Chapel-on-Leader House at some point between the publication of Crawford and Brooke's 'Map Embracing Extensive Portions of the Counties of Roxburgh, Berwickshire etc..' in 1843 and the publication of the 1st Edition OS map in 1859.
The garden covers an area of just over 1 acre, and in line with common practice had a large greenhouse along the inner side of the N wall and a range of potting sheds and boiler houses on the outer side. The roof of the potting shed no longer survives, leaving the heating flues in the wall exposed to view. Extending from the four outer corners of the garden are diagonally-set wing walls. These were a sophisticated design element that gave additional shelter to the area around the outer walls, meaning that both sides of the garden wall could be used for cultivation.
The former Home Farm / stables are listed separately. List description updated at resurvey (2010).
Other nearby listed buildings