This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9141 / 56°54'50"N
Longitude: -2.9219 / 2°55'18"W
OS Eastings: 343965
OS Northings: 780684
OS Grid: NO439806
Mapcode National: GBR WL.LDXX
Mapcode Global: WH7P7.2GWY
Entry Name: Invermark Lodge Stables
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398920
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50721
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Brechin and Edzell
Traditional County: Angus
Circa 1848. 3 detached single storey buildings containing stables and other offices arranged in U-plan around courtyard. Principal building (coach house and stables) 3 bays with attic and lower 2-bay side wings; 3-bay cottage and stable/harness room forming sides of courtyard. Roughly-squared, coursed granite with long and short granite quoins. Regular fenestration to courtyard elevations; less regular fenestration to outer elevations.
COACH HOUSE AND STABLES: to N of courtyard. Central 3-bay section with 3 sliding timber-boarded coach house or garage doors to ground and small hayloft entrance above; 2-bay stable wings adjoining each gable with timber-boarded door to inner bay and window to outer bay. Later 19th century addition to N elevation with catslide roof from central block; irregular arrangement of doors and windows and small chimney stack left of centre. Boarded timber stalls to stable interior
FORMER GROOM'S HOUSE: 3-bay cottage with central door to E of courtyard. Gablehead stacks and wallhead stack to centre of E elevation.
STABLE AND HARNESS ROOM: 3-bay range to W of courtyard with 3 doors to courtyard elevation and 3 irregularly-spaced windows to W elevation. Gablehead stacks and roof lights. Remains of early 20th century brick garage to S gable.
A simple, but neat and very little-altered group of stables and associated buildings. Although the stables are situated on private land, the rear elevation with its emphatic catslide roof is visible from the public footpath to the Queen's Well.
These stables were erected to serve Invermark Lodge, which was built as a shooting lodge for the Earl of Dalhousie in about 1847. Although various other ancillary buildings, such as kennels and the deer larder were erected in later 19th century, the stables are the only offices shown on the 1st edition OS map and must therefore have been built at the same time as the house. The 1926 plan marks the uses of all the buildings and shows that by that date the coach house was being used as a 'motor garage', that the addition behind the coach house contained a smithy, cattle shed, stick house and bothy, and that the W range contained a stable, harness room and chauffeur's room. The E range is marked as a dwelling house, and was presumably occupied by the head groom.
Other nearby listed buildings