History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirkton Old House and Shepherd's Bothy with Ancillary Building

A Category C Listed Building in Brechin and Edzell, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.91 / 56°54'36"N

Longitude: -2.9342 / 2°56'3"W

OS Eastings: 343211

OS Northings: 780244

OS Grid: NO432802

Mapcode National: GBR WK.LQ8F

Mapcode Global: WH7P6.WLY1

Entry Name: Kirkton Old House and Shepherd's Bothy with Ancillary Building

Listing Date: 14 November 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398922

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50723

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lochlee

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Brechin and Edzell

Parish: Lochlee

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Tarfside

Description

1750 with various 19th century additions and late 19th century alterations. Long range of 2-storey, 5-bay house (formerly 2 houses, see Notes) with 2 single storey, 3-bay cottages adjoining E gable and substantial lean-to outshot to rear. Random granite rubble with roughly squared quoins and sandstone window dressings; squared, coursed granite to most Easterly cottage. Fenestration arranged in bays.

FURTHER DETAILS: earliest part of 2-storey house are probably the 3 bays to right: central timber-boarded door; asymmetrical fenestration with left-hand bay wider than right; later bipartite window to right. 2 bays to left probably slightly later and have larger windows; gabled timber-boarded porch to right-hand bay. 3 bay cottage adjoining E gable of house with central door walled-up. Later 19th century 3-bay cottage adjoining to E with timber-boarded porch. Lean-to single storey, 2-bay cottage adjoining rear of house.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing (some 4-pane) in timber sash and case windows to house; predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to cottages. Coped ridge and gablehead stacks with octagonal yellow clay cans. Plain timber bargeboards. Welsh slate roof with ridge tiles.

INTERIOR OF HOUSE: largely untouched since early 20th century. Simple timber fixtures including window seat in former kitchen and built-in cupboard in former sitting room. Some timber panelled shutters; some simple chimney pieces. Plain timber staircase. Timber-boarded interior doors to ground floor; timber panelled doors upstairs.

ANCILLARY BUILDING: single storey L-plan steading formerly containing barn, stable, cart shed and byre to rear (N) of house. Random granite rubble. Timber-boarded doors. Welsh slate with ridge tiles and roof lights.

Statement of Interest

An interesting range of dwelling houses of various (mainly 19th century dates) incorporating the old 18th century Lochlee Parish Manse and occupying a prominent position by the shore of Loch Lee. The house has been largely unoccupied roughly since the 1970s, and its interior seems to have received very few alterations since the beginning of the 20th century.

The main house appears to have been built in two phases, and is described on the 1926 plan as 2 dwellings, although it is not easily apparent whether the addition was built as a separate house or as an extension to the original house. The two parts now form a single house. The 3 bays on the Eastern half of the house appear to be the oldest part, as the windows are smaller and the bays spaced unevenly. According to the OS Name Book, this house was originally built as the Manse for the old Parish Church, which is situated nearby on the shore of Loch Lee. This is corroborated by John Ainslie's maps and later ones, which show the manse on this spot. According to the Old Statistical Account, the Manse was built in 1750. It therefore seems likely that the 3-bay section is the 1750 Manse. The 2 bays to the West were built before the publication of the 1st Edition OS map (circa 1865), probably in the early 19th century. The whole building has been re-roofed in Welsh slate, probably in the late 19th century. The projecting window cills are almost certainly a late 19th century alteration as well.

The cottage adjoining the house was probably built in the 3rd quarter of the 19th century, possibly at about the same time that Invermark Lodge was erected. The 2nd cottage, with the neatly coursed granite walls was probably built in the late 19th century. Both cottages are now joined to form one dwelling, which is called The Shepherd's Bothy.

The lean-to section at the rear of the house is marked on the 1926 as a separate dwelling house, although it now forms part of the house. It was built at some point between the publication of the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.