This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0592 / 57°3'32"N
Longitude: -3.0901 / 3°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 333981
OS Northings: 796983
OS Grid: NO339969
Mapcode National: GBR WD.962S
Mapcode Global: WH6M7.HTRR
Entry Name: By Ballater, Moine-Na-Vey
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398925
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50725
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1922. Alterations and additions 1930 by Jenkins and Marr, Aberdeen, conservatory circa 1985. Fascinating single and 2-storey with attic, butterfly-plan villa with Arts and Crafts detailing, dramatic steeply-pitched swept roofs, monumental stacks and eyelid dormers, and good interior incorporating some Art Deco detailing. Harl with white Inver granite and pink local granite, base course and stone cills. Timber mullions.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to NW with broad 2-leaf timber door set-back at centre under large tripartite window and tall roof, flanking 'butterfly' wings with small windows to ground and diminutive dormers; V-plan advanced face at left. Blocky castellated porch with blocked door and non-traditional conservatory to SW, and battered pier supporting roof over right re-entrant angle at SE (garden) elevation (similar pier to left re-entrant concealed by conservatory).
Small-pane glazing pattern in casement windows. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves and cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place. Moulded cornices, brick and timber fire surrounds, vertically-panelled timber doors and cast iron radiators. Staircase with geometric oak balustrade and battered newels, some very tall. Bathroom with original fittings.
Moine-na-Vey is a rare example of the butterfly plan. The well-detailed little-altered interior further enhances the vernacular qualities championed in the Arts and Crafts styling. Sited on raised ground, now landscaped to the south and south east with a balustrade and terrace installed circa 1995. The current (2006) owner has drawings for the Jenkins and Marr work which was carried out for Lady Ramsay, and also for the nearby Lodge which was built in 1958. Designed by A M Irvine of Invercannie in Banchory, the lodge was built for Lady Paget and Sir James F Paget.
Other nearby listed buildings