This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0686 / 57°4'6"N
Longitude: -2.9558 / 2°57'20"W
OS Eastings: 342142
OS Northings: 797913
OS Grid: NO421979
Mapcode National: GBR WJ.8RJ1
Mapcode Global: WH7NF.KLPH
Entry Name: Cambus O'may, Walled Garden
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398934
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50734
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 19th century. Large rectangular-plan walled garden sited to N of Cambus O'May Hotel. Low, coped, roughly squared and pinned rubble wall to S with central ornate iron gates. Higher walls to other 3 sides with single openings to W and E. Opening to E, possibly a later addition, with brick segmental arch and ornate iron gate. Series of bull-faced ashlar square-section piers running S to N forming formal walk bisecting garden.
This walled garden is the last major surviving component of the extensive (16 acres) gardens of Cambus O'May House (see separate listing). This garden retains its fine decorative iron gates. The series of ashlar piers running down the centre are unusual, and it has not been possible to ascertain what they supported, although the creation of a formal walk was the likely objective. Cambus O'May House was built by Sir William Cunliffe Brooks, owner of the Glen Tanar and Aboyne estates. He was the patron of the architect George Truefitt (1824-1902), who designed Glen Tanar House (see separate listing) for him and may have designed Cambus O'May. The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that late in his career Truefitt worked with the landscape gardener T. H. Mawson. Possibly therefore Mawson was responsible for this walled garden and the rest of the landscaping at Cambus O'May.
Listed as part of a B group with Cambus O'May Hotel, Stable Block and Kennels
Other nearby listed buildings