This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1718 / 57°10'18"N
Longitude: -3.2475 / 3°14'50"W
OS Eastings: 324665
OS Northings: 809681
OS Grid: NJ246096
Mapcode National: GBR W6.21MQ
Mapcode Global: WH6LL.2ZVY
Entry Name: Corgarff, Loinherry
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399140
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50629
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possibly 1842 or earlier. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular- plan simple traditional cottage with rare retention of much original interior. Roughly squared and snecked rubble with large squared quoins.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation at SE with typical timber boarded lean-to centre porch, boarded timber door and 2-part letterbox fanlight, flanking windows and piended dormers. Rear elevation with 3 asymmetrical tiny window openings.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates and original cast iron rooflights. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: good example of typical Donside layout. Ground floor with 2 low-ceilinged rooms, kitchen to W timber lined, including ceiling, with granite hearth, working swey and timber mantel shelf supported on outer corbels. Later firebricks within hearth stamped 'DYKEHEAD BONNYBRIDGE'. Timber dividing wall at centre plenishing breast (position of former box beds) retaining some panelled screen doors. Sitting room to E with similar plenishing breast opening and granite fire surround with moulded timber mantel shelf. Timber stair running E-W (fronting plenishing breast) with open ledge opposite landing and small attic bedrooms all timber lined. Wall recess behind front door probably for milk or water storage.
A fine example of a typical small Strathdon farmhouse, overlooking the Don Valley and Corgarff Castle. Apart from losing its box beds, the house functions much as when it was first built with no running water or electricity. It has been suggested that the wall recess behind the front door would serve for storing a container of milk or water. A few similar examples exist in the parish, but they are not prolific. Although the exterior is very simple and appears as many others in the parish, the interior is a rarity with comparable examples found only at West Tornahaish and Fleuchats (both listed separately). The 'breast of plenishing' is described by Douglas Simpson as 'a sort of framed wooden partition across the house ' [with] doors or sliding shutters three or four feet square, that by day concealed the box-bed within'. A farmer in the glen was born at Loinherry when it still functioned as a farmhouse. There have been buildings on the site since at least the mid 18th century. The name translates as 'Moss of the Shieling', and the nearby Burn of Loinherry is ' 'Tobar Fuar' the 'Cold Well', Scotland's second largest spring, its waters alleged to cure the lame, the blind and the deaf' (Gordon).