This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.049 / 57°2'56"N
Longitude: -3.0396 / 3°2'22"W
OS Eastings: 337029
OS Northings: 795801
OS Grid: NO370958
Mapcode National: GBR WF.9Z0Y
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.83V0
Entry Name: Church Square, Commemorative Drinking Well
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399162
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50647
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1884. Prominently situated, square-plan battered Gothic drinking well. Coursed, rock faced grey granite. Battered plinth supports 4 square-plan columns with pyramidal canopy with blind lucarnes and foliate finial. Verdigris flower pattern water spout with commemorative plaque and granite bowl below. (see Notes) Enclosed on 3 sides by a low, granite coped wall.
This drinking well is prominently sited in the central square in Ballater opposite Glenmuick Parish Church (see separate listing). It makes an impressive contribution to the streetscape. It is fashioned from the local granite it is distinguished by the rock faced surface. The development of Ballater was founded by the local laird, Francis Farquharson of Monaltrie at the end of the nineteenth century to provide accommodation for the increasing numbers of tourists to the nearby Pannanich Wells. The town was planned on a grid system and early maps show Church Square as the principal square, with other streets forming a grid pattern around it. The plaque is inscribed 'Presented to Lieut.Col.Farquharson and the inhabitants of Ballater by Hugh Rose, 1884.' The association with the Farquharson family establishes a historical link to the founder of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings