This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.616 / 55°36'57"N
Longitude: -2.808 / 2°48'28"W
OS Eastings: 349203
OS Northings: 636120
OS Grid: NT492361
Mapcode National: GBR 83TH.VN
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.V30J
Entry Name: 28 and 29 Bank Street, Including Single Storey Extension to Rear
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399190
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50666
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Early 19th century with later additions. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan vernacular former dwelling house with perpendicular range and single-storey extension to rear. Narrow later 19th century shop front to right; later 20th century shop front to left. Early 20th century canted timber bay window to rear at 1st floor over single-storey extension with sloping corrugated-iron roof. Painted whin rubble to principal (SW) elevation; rough hewn whin quoins and margins; curved rubble corner detail to rear. Plain gable.
Plain timber sash and case windows in small openings at 1st floor; cast-iron rooflights; slate roof; coped sandstone end stack with clay cans; short brick stack to rear; zinc ridges and cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: A good, original, plain late-Georgian vernacular decorative scheme survives at 1st and attic floors; 6 panel doors; boarded attic doors; cast-iron fireplaces; curved timber stairs to attic with double leaf timber door and small cast-iron balustrade. Separate accommodation to rear at 1st floor includes cast-iron and tiled fireplace in former range.
28 and 29 Bank Street is a good example of an earlier 19th century building and is the only remaining relatively unaltered example that survived the comprehensive redevelopment of the street in the later 19th century. The building was originally built as a house, with its garden on the other side of the street now incorporated into the public gardens. By the first edition map of 1856 it is shown divided into two as it is today and was probably being used as shop premises. It is of simple construction with a fine rounded whin corner and a narrow tall blocked window evident to the rear. The single storey extension (still in use by the fishmongers) is evident by the 1897 map, by which time No. 29 was trading as J P Emslie's, a fishmonger and poulterer.
Other nearby listed buildings