This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6188 / 55°37'7"N
Longitude: -2.8112 / 2°48'40"W
OS Eastings: 349006
OS Northings: 636436
OS Grid: NT490364
Mapcode National: GBR 83TG.5M
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.S1JC
Entry Name: Bridge Street, Scottish Enterprise Borders (Former Maxwell Hotel)
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399198
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50676
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Later 19th century with possible earlier fabric; later extensions to rear. 4-storey with upper breaking eaves, 7-bay (arranged 3-1-3), symmetrical rectangular-plan former hotel in French Classical style. (now converted to offices, 2006). Central bay with later widened glazed doorway rising to piended platform-roofed tower with cast-iron brattishing and French oculus dormer. Corniced and pilastered doorpieces to flanking sections, tripartite windows flanking doorways. Corniced and dentilled fascia at 2nd floor. Plain gabled dormers breaking stone ballustraded eaves, ball finialled dies to skew-ends. Narrow coursed rubble; render to SE and SW; painted stone dressings, quoins and rybats; render to SE and SW. Stop-chamfered door surrounds.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows; Plate glass in timber sash and case tripartite windows. 20th century glazed metal doors; pitched slate roofs; large corniced gable end stacks. Square-section cast-iron gutters collecting between dormers; cast-iron downpipes recessed behind facia.
INTERIOR: remodelled to form office spaces throughout. Carved timber staircase to all floors with ornamental ram's head corbels; cornicing to 1st floor principal rooms.
The former Maxwell Hotel has an imposing façade and demonstrates good classical detailing, particularly at the roofline. It is of quality construction and massing, making an important contribution to the streetscape and particularly roofscape on entering Galashiels from the N.
The former hotel was built on the site of the smaller former Commercial Hotel that is marked on the site on the 1858 town plan of Galashiels, possibly incorporating some of the fabric of the earlier building. The 1897 map shows the rear of the hotel extending further than it does today (2006). A circa 1950s ballroom to the SE of the building was demolished to make way for car parking in the late 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings