This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6169 / 55°37'0"N
Longitude: -2.8094 / 2°48'33"W
OS Eastings: 349119
OS Northings: 636221
OS Grid: NT491362
Mapcode National: GBR 83TH.KB
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.T2DV
Entry Name: 2 Channel Street and 2-12 (Even Nos) High Street, Victoria Buildings
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399204
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50679
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
1927. 3 and 4 storeys with upper breaking eaves. Corner block of 3 by 2 bays, extending 7 bays along High Street. Multi-use commercial building.
CHANNEL STREET (N) BLOCK: prominent polygonal corner tower with polygonal roof and overhanging eaves. 2-storey canted bay to outer right. Mock half-timbered attic storey. Squared buff sandstone with ashlar dressings. Plate glass shopfronts to ground floor. Tiled stall riser, band course at base of attic floor. Steeply-pitched slate roof, slightly bell-cast, with clay ridge tiles.
HIGH STREET BLOCK: 7 irregular bays, with corner bay and return to Overhaugh Street. Red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Ground floor of plate-glass shopfronts and channelled ashlar. Large plate glass 1st floor windows to left with continuous steel lintel, single and bipartite windows to right. Pitch-roofed barge-boarded dormers with slated cheeks. Corner block has a blind bell-cote feature and square mansard roof with iron brattishing. Purple slate roof with clay ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: access was gained to only small areas of the interiors during the resurvey (2005).
Victoria Buildings is among the most recognisable buildings in Galashiels. The buildings, with the dominant corner tower, form a strong corner to Channel Street and the entrance to the commercial core of the town. Retaining much of the original detail, including shopfronts on the ground floor and continuing the theme along the High Street, this is among the best of the commercial premises in Galashiels.
The present Victoria buildings date to when the section of High Street between Channel Street and Bank Street was widened in 1927. Although the corner building is significantly different to its predecessor, which probably dated to the 1880s, the section along the High Street appears to have followed the design of the earlier elevation.
Although in overall outlook Victoria Buildings can be said to be slightly out-dated for its period, details such as the raised apron panels and surrounds do display touches of modernity.
The section of the building along the High Street also appears from maps to have been moved back. However, details such as the chamfered surrounds suggest that this building followed the original very closely.
When built originally Victoria Buildings housed a large drapery store, known as 'Cochrane's Emporium'. The large 1st floor windows along the High Street suggest this use was continued in the new buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings