History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ben Reuval, Our Lady of the Isles Statue

A Category B Listed Building in Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas, Na h-Eileanan Siar

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3427 / 57°20'33"N

Longitude: -7.3607 / 7°21'38"W

OS Eastings: 77635

OS Northings: 840740

OS Grid: NF776407

Mapcode National: GBR 8969.Z6X

Mapcode Global: WGV3B.XP2V

Entry Name: Ben Reuval, Our Lady of the Isles Statue

Listing Date: 23 May 2007

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399442

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50888

Building Class: Cultural

Location: South Uist

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas

Parish: South Uist

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Clachan

Description

Hew Lorimer, 1956. Prominently sited monumental white granite semi-naturalist style statue of Madonna holding standing Christ-child at shoulder height. Child with right hand raised in blessing, left hand resting lightly on Madonna's crowned head. Both figures elongated with simplified columnar robes. Significantly sited on raised ground in remote setting of grand isolation, within low stone enclosure at end of long straight stone path.

Statement of Interest

Consecrated on 15 August 1958 by Bishop Kenneth Grant, the statue of Our Lady of The Isles is an outstanding example of Hew Lorimer's craft. His characteristic semi-naturalist style is more readily recognised in the stylised, columnar figures carved into the fa├žade of the National Library in Edinburgh (listed separately), but in this rugged isolated terrain, the Madonna soars above the landscape and can be seen from great distances. A smaller version of this statue is located to the north of St Michael's Church, Ardkenneth, South Uist (listed separately), and a small bronze version was cast in 1972.

Hew Lorimer (1907-1993), second son of Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer, spent his early years in the studio of Catholic sculptor Eric Gill. Hew Lorimer's work is spread across Scotland, from Dundee, Tayport, St Andrews and Pittenweem, to Kippen Parish Church, the Castle of Mey, Fasnakyle Power Station and Pollok House in Glasgow. In 1996 The Hew Lorimer Trust was set up by Vincent Logan, Bishop of the Diocese of Dunkeld, in recognition of the importance of his contribution to Scottish sculpture. The 'Our Lady of The Isles' statue on South Uist is possibly Hew Lorimer's most famous sculpture. Unlike the comparable allegorical figures of 'Medicine, Science, History, Poetry, Law, Theology and Music' at Edinburgh's National Library, the South Uist statue is unusual for its isolated position and independent architectural qualities, rather than assuming a supportive or decorative role to a more substantial structure.

Current research by Fiona Pearson at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art has led to the understanding that this iconic statue is arguably the most famous and best of Lorimer's work. It was inspired by the Antoine Bourdelle, Vierge d'Alsace in the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.