This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9883 / 55°59'17"N
Longitude: -3.7667 / 3°46'0"W
OS Eastings: 289883
OS Northings: 678663
OS Grid: NS898786
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.VRRW
Mapcode Global: WH5R0.3RL6
Entry Name: Callendar Park, Policy Walls
Listing Date: 13 June 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399536
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50896
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Falkirk South
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Probably predominantly early to earlier 19th century incorporating earlier fabric (see Notes). Long high stretch of policy walls forming southern boundary to Callendar Wood and formerly denoting boundary of Callendar House policies. Mostly sandstone rubble with flat coping, some large boulders and brick infill. Of variable state of repair.
A-Group comprises 'Callendar House' (HB 31236), and the associated 'Glenbrae Lodge and Gates' (HB 31235), 'Callendar House, Small Bridge on South Axis of House' (HB 31237), 'Callendar House Sundial' (HB 31238), 'Stable Court, Including Cobbled Yard' (HB 31239), 'Stable Block Including Dovecot, Cobbled Yard, Implement Shed, Boundary Walls and Gates' (HB 46544), 'Factor's House' (HB 46545), 'Dry Bridge' (HB 31240), 'Mausoleum' (HB 31241), 'Atrium House (Former Gardener's Cottage), Including Gatepiers' (HB 50224), 'Kennels' (HB 50894) and 'Wellhead' (HB 50897), see separate entries.
The policy walls to Callendar House are an integral part of Callendar Park and form a distinctive long stretch of wall which denotes the boundary of the Callendar Park policies. The wall is difficult to date accurately and it is likely that it has been repaired and augmented over the years. Callendar House itself has late 14th century origins and what is now Callendar Wood is likely to have been a hunting park. Pont's map of 1583-96 shows a large wooded area surrounding Callendar House. Grasson's map of 1817 shows the boundary of the policy walls as they appear today.
The walls runs approximately from NS 88521 79072 to NS 88583 78790 to NS 89119 78645 to NS 89648 78640 to
NS 89883 78663 to NS 90389 78713 to NS 90730 78845.
Owned by Forestry Commission Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings