This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3297 / 56°19'46"N
Longitude: -3.8376 / 3°50'15"W
OS Eastings: 286470
OS Northings: 716775
OS Grid: NN864167
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.51V6
Mapcode Global: WH5PF.05TD
Entry Name: Pitkellony House, Walled Garden
Listing Date: 13 June 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399542
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50899
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathallan
Traditional County: Perthshire
Possibly mid 18th century origin, extended 19th century. Large rectangular-plan walled garden. Earliest walls of rubble heavily pointed and lined as ashlar with droved ashlar band (eroded) at wallhead and gablet coping. Flat-coped, stepped rubble walls to E and brick-lined semicircular-coped rubble wall (raised over lean-to greenhouse on S elevation) to NW. Early beech hedge divisions to SE.
B Group with Pitkellony House and Thornhill House with East Gate and ancillary buildings.
Pitkellony is sited on raised ground overlooking the village of Muthill just a few miles south of Drummond Castle. The delightfully situated walled garden, early in origin, forms an integral part of the estate's buildings. A walled garden was a vital element of an estate, providing fruit and vegetables as well as a sheltered place for recreation. The lands of Pitkellony were purchased from Sir William Bruce of Airth during the 15th century, but the oldest part of the house probably dates to 1670 and may have been built for John Drummond (the 9th of Pitkellony) who was appointed Steward Depute of Strathearn and Commissioner of Justice in the Highlands in 1668.
A small grotto situated in parkland immediately to the north east of the walled garden is thought to have been designed by Lewis Kennedy (1721-82), the famous landscape gardener who set up Vineyard Nurseries in Hammersmith circa 1745. It is, therefore, quite probable that he may have been involved with designing the walled garden at Pitkellony as well its landscape. Lewis Kennedy's great grandson, also Lewis, had moved into the house by 1822 as factor to the Drummond Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings