This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4908 / 57°29'27"N
Longitude: -3.1802 / 3°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 329352
OS Northings: 845126
OS Grid: NJ293451
Mapcode National: GBR L8HX.RYG
Mapcode Global: WH6K2.3ZXB
Entry Name: Craigellachie, Fiddichside Inn
Listing Date: 26 June 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399959
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51121
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
1842; small flat-roofed extension late 20th century. Interesting survival of largely unaltered rural public house in vernacular single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan dwelling sited adjacent to Bridge of Fiddich on raised ground overlooking terraced garden on river bank. Tiny bar retains original fittings by A & R Dunbar (see Notes) of circa 1920. Harled with deep set openings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: front elevation to W comprising boarded timber door with 2-pane fanlight, windows in flanking bays and timber fascia board at left with 'FIDDICHSIDE INN'; 2 pedimented dormer windows breaking eaves at outer bays and small rooflight at centre. Later low, flat-roofed bay adjoining left gable and small lean-to outside toilet adjoining right.
INTERIOR: bar measuring 3 x 4.5 metres with cast iron fireplace and copper hood in timber surround, timber-boarding to dado, original panelled counter, simple 3-bay back gantry. Timber centre staircase running N-S (across house).
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows and top-opening to dormers at front elevation. Grey slates with tiled ridges. Coped harled stacks with cans and evidence of thackstanes. Ashlar-coped skews.
The Fiddichside Inn is a rare survivor, notable for its simplicity, connection to local tradesmen and important origins linking it to an era of profound change in the Highlands with the advent of the railway. The inn was taken over by the Smith family in 1919 and remains in the same family today (2008). The bar counter, which occupies almost half of the floor space in the bar, and gantry were made by A & R Dunbar at the nearby Popine mills which was demolished a few years ago.
Built as a refreshment room for railway builders, the inn is sited close to the junction of the River Fiddich and River Spey, across the Fiddich from the site of the former Craigellachie Junction and Auction Mart. Construction work involved building a viaduct (1857) across the River Spey. Opened in 1862, this section of line formed the junction of the Morayshire, Keith and Strathspey sections of the Great North of Scotland Railway.
A photograph dating from the turn of the century shows that what is now the bar end of the house was being run as a 'Refreshment Room', the windows had 12-pane glazing, and the door was 2-leaf.
This building was added to the statutory list in 2008 as part of a thematic resurvey of Scotland's historic public houses.
Other nearby listed buildings