This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8185 / 55°49'6"N
Longitude: -4.1661 / 4°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 264381
OS Northings: 660485
OS Grid: NS643604
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.6G2J
Mapcode Global: WH4QM.Z0BS
Entry Name: Main Street, Savoy Bingo Club (Former Savoy Cinema)
Listing Date: 16 September 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400018
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51158
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Cambuslang West
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Fairweather, 1929. 4-storey, 7-bay, symmetrical, former cinema converted to bingo hall probably early 1960s, with monumental Classical street elevation and gabled auditorium to rear. Red brick with cream-painted render to street. Some windows with raised moulded architraves, some raised cills. Blocking course to outer bays.
N (STREET) ELEVATION: slightly advanced central 5-bay section with advanced outer bays; bays divided by giant modified Doric pilasters rising through 1st and 2nd storeys. Moulded architrave, decorative frieze interspersed with small horizontal windows, cornice and deep blocking course. Shallow steps lead to central recessed entrance portico with square-plan columns dividing 3 pairs of recessed timber and glass swing doors with rectangular fanlights above. Flanking shops each with entrance door and plate glass window.
Predominantly 4-pane metal casement and fixed windows. Small, diamond-pane fixed windows to upper storey. Flat roof to front section, pitched roof to auditorium to rear.
Constructed in 1929, the former Savoy Cinema is a good example of the work of John Fairweather, one of Scotland's foremost cinema architects. Forming an important part of Cambuslang's streetscape it is designed in Fairweather's characteristic Classical style. The street elevation appears largely unaltered and the Cinema Theatre Association website suggests that the interior remains relatively intact. Once common across the country, good examples of Scotland's cinema architecture are becoming increasingly rare. The dramatic street elevation here with its giant pilasters would have been intended to act as a form of advertisement in its own right.
Built for a local company it is likely that it originally had a dual-purpose and was provided with theatre facilities. The cinema became a Bingo Hall probably in the early 1960s, when the name changed to the 'Vogue'. It has reverted to its original name of Savoy.
John Fairweather (1867-1942) was born in Glasgow and specialised in designing cinemas in Scotland. He was the house architect for the Green family, although this cinema was not part of the Green chain. He designed Green's Playhouses for Glasgow (1925-9; demolished 1985; the largest cinema in Europe at the time), Dundee (1934-6; only the tower remains after a fire in 1995; see separate listing), Ayr (1930; see separate listing) and Wishaw (1940; see separate listing). All four of these super-cinemas contained an elaborate Corinthian-columned interior.
Currently in use as a Bingo Hall (2008).
Listed as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007/08.
Other nearby listed buildings