This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2281 / 56°13'41"N
Longitude: -2.6819 / 2°40'54"W
OS Eastings: 357821
OS Northings: 704157
OS Grid: NO578041
Mapcode National: GBR 2W.CPF6
Mapcode Global: WH7SM.SQ3B
Entry Name: Cellardyke, East End, Kilrenny War Memorial Including Railings
Listing Date: 26 November 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400120
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51250
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward
Traditional County: Fife
Alexander Murdoch, 1922. Sandstone WWI War Memorial prominently sited on open coastal ground between Cellardyke and Kilrenny.
MEMORIAL: triple-stepped base giving way to 3-sided 2-stage section. Lower stage with 3 panels in low relief depicting sailor, soldier and wreath with crossed swords; upper stage with 3 panels naming fallen and dedicatory panel, "ERECTED IN PROUD AND REVERENT MEMORY OF THOSE CONNECTED WITH THE PARISH OF KILRENNY WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 1918".
Stages divided by large scrolled angle buttresses supporting lions holding shields depicting Kilrenny Burgh Coat of Arms, plough and steam drifter. Monument surmounted by tall Composite column with polished granite ball finial.
Unveiled on 12 March 1922, Kilrenny War Memorial is an important piece of sculpture notable for its unusual form and exceptional carving. It is also distinguished by its remote location which gives it a distinctive landscape prominence. It forms a significant part of the social history of the area.
The carved panels and lions with shields are of good quality and firmly anchor the Memorial to its locality. The lions hold shields depicting the Kilrenny Burgh Coat of Arms and also a plough and steam drifter to represent the local fishing and farming communities. War Memorials are more commonly found in places of worship or in central civic locations and the remoteness of this example, located between the two communities it represents, sets it apart and gives it an unusual landscape presence.
Alexander Murdoch was a local architectural and monumental sculptor who worked from Abbotshall Road, Kirkcaldy.
Other nearby listed buildings