This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3949 / 56°23'41"N
Longitude: -3.4342 / 3°26'3"W
OS Eastings: 311564
OS Northings: 723443
OS Grid: NO115234
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.12FG
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.6JXF
Entry Name: 5 and 7 King Street, Including St Andrew Lodge
Listing Date: 22 September 2009
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400245
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51364
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
Early to mid 19th century. 3-storey, block with shop to ground at No 7 and 2-bay Masonic lodge to upper floors; rear to Canal Crescent (E). Painted render to King Street elevation (W), harled to E. Base course, eaves cornice.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION TO KING STREET: no 5 far left. Single-bay with pilastered, console bracketted, corniced doorpiece with small corner pediments. 8-panel 2-leaf timber door with fanlights above. Round-arched niche to right. Pilastered bay above with 2-light, coloured glass windows to each floor with timber mullions.
No 7 with symmetrical shop front with central recessed part-glazed door with fanlight above. Broad pilasters to outer bays with projecting console brackets; fascia with projecting dentilled cornice. Timber mullions to windows and divided transom lights. Upper storey with pilasters separating bays. Large, central, timber mullioned and transomed window.
CANAL CRESCENT ELEVATION: central pointed-arched timber boarded opening to upper floor. Timber pilastered shop front to left with stallrisers and corniced fascia.
Variety of glazing patterns. Plate glass to ground. 18-pane, fixed glazing to upper floor window. Grey slates. Gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: (No 7 seen only). Comprehensively modernised.
This building is particularly notable for its good quality, decorative shop fronts. The heavy consoles to both the entrance door at No 5 and the shop at No 7 are particularly distinctive. The pilastered upper storey adds interest to the street and the building as a whole is an important part of the streetscape.
The building is shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1860 as Canal Crescent Independent Chapel, with seats for 400. Gifford notes that the Canal Crescent elevation housed an independent chapel since 1810 and the 1809 Robert Reid map depicts a building to Canal Crescent only. It seems likely, therefore, that the Canal Crescent elevation of the building is older that the King Street elevation. No 5 King Street was converted to a Masonic Lodge in 1973. Previously it belonged to the Rechabite Society, who were a temperance society.
Other nearby listed buildings