This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.395 / 56°23'41"N
Longitude: -3.4328 / 3°25'58"W
OS Eastings: 311652
OS Northings: 723443
OS Grid: NO116234
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.12RB
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.7JLD
Entry Name: Scott Street, Perth Methodist Church
Listing Date: 22 September 2009
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400250
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51368
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
Alexander Petrie, 1879-80. Diminuitive, Gothic Methodist Church dominated by 3-stage steeple to street elevation with octagonal stone spire. Squared and snecked, stugged sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Hoodmouldings with labelstops. Shouldered angle buttressing. Modillioned eaves course. PRINCIPAL (E) ELEVATION: Steps to main entrance. Bipartite pointed-arch windows flanking with blind rosette roundels above. Belfry stage broached with lucarnes octagonal stone spire with patterned bands.
Butresses divide bays to N and S (side) elvations. Off centre gables break wallhead with round windows to centre and Star of David motif. Vestry and kitchen wings to N and S respectively forming transepts. Later meeting hall and further additons to rear (W) forming rough T-plan.
Grey slate, cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped skews.
INTERIOR: Pulpit originally at W end under round window; later truncated and offset to N. Stained glass ' round window to W; double portrait of John and Charles Wesley 'The Best Of All Is God Is With Us'. Abstract pattern windows (1982) by Vanessa Ohyma to N and S walls. Original timber pews.
Place of worship in use as such.
The Scott Street Methodist Church is a good, well-detailed example of a late 19th century ecclesiastical building in Perth. It is particularly notable for its prominent broached spire which rises directly from the street gable elevation adding vertical emphasis. This is a relatively uncommon arrangement, adding to the building's special interest. Its symmetrical composition and Gothic style contribute positively to the wider streetscape setting.
Alexander Petrie was first and foremost a church architect, principally specialising in United Presbyterian and Free Church commissions. His Free Church at Anniesland (see separate listing) is a good representative of his general style. He set up practice in Glasgow in 1871. This church, constructed at a cost of £2000, is understood to have been his only Methodist Church commission, undertaken quite early in his career. The Scott Street church was built on the garden ground to the rear of what was the former Wesleyan 'chapel' at Nos 170-178 South Street (see separate listing). The interior is particularly notable for its stained-glass window depicting John Wesley and his brother Charles. Scott Street was laid out in 1803 and was substantially redeveloped during the late 19th and early 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings