This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1162 / 56°6'58"N
Longitude: -3.7978 / 3°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 288315
OS Northings: 692946
OS Grid: NS883929
Mapcode National: GBR 1J.LQRG
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.MJRM
Entry Name: Ludgate, Claremont Workshops, North Building (Former Ludgate Infant School) Including Boundary Walls, Railings, Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 9 November 2009
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400277
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51392
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
Probably Adam Frame (see Notes), later 19th century. Well-detailed single storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan, neo-classical former school building with dignified gabled elevation to street, prominently sited on raised ground at busy roundabout. Originally part of earlier Infant School complex (see Notes). Channelled polished ashlar on part raised basement of squared and coursed rock faced rubble, cill course at N and S, eaves cornice and deep blocking course.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: gabled principal elevation to E (Ludgate) with bracketed moulded cill to tripartite window with Corinthian columned mullions and consoled pediment with blind oculus in tympanum. Entrance elevation to N with small ashlar porch at centre, 2-leaf panelled timber door on return to left and windows in flanking bays; regular fenestration to S.
Single pane over 2-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in top-opening windows. Grey slates with red ridge tiles and centre ventilator. Coped ashlar stack and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: large hall with 5 ironwork roof trusses now partly obscured by suspended ceiling; architraved and corniced doorways.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: squared rubble boundary walls, some low with saddleback cope and inset decorative cast iron railings; ashlar and snecked rubble gatepiers and decorative cast iron gate.
Built as additional hall space for the now demolished Alloa Academy and subsequently incorporated into the former Ludgate Infant School, this is a well-detailed building, distinguished by its exterior stonework. The high quality, well-detailed stonework of this former public building makes an important contribution and is a positive element in a much altered streetscape setting. It is attributed to Adam Frame owing to stylistic similarities with a large extension he was working on at Alloa Academy during the 1870s. Adam Frame also designed the Burgh Chambers 1873, and Museum 1873/4. This attribution disagrees with the information given by Gifford and Walker who name the architectural practice of Kerr & McCulloch, and give a date of circa 1910. However, as the building appears on the 1898-1900 Ordnance Survey map the Adam Frame connection seems more likely.
The other former Ludgate Infant School buildings situated toward the SW date from 1839 and the 1870s, with internal alterations carried out circa 1905 by George Kerr. These alterations included the installation of a domestic science suite with decorative tiling and battered architraves.
Other nearby listed buildings