This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.3336 / 56°20'1"N
Longitude: -3.7329 / 3°43'58"W
OS Eastings: 292955
OS Northings: 717042
OS Grid: NN929170
Mapcode National: GBR 1M.4TKN
Mapcode Global: WH5PG.M2MD
Entry Name: Millearne, Stable (Garage) Block
Listing Date: 25 November 2009
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400294
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51399
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Trinity Gask
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Parish: Trinity Gask
Traditional County: Perthshire
Probably R & R Dickson, dated 1824 and 1826; extended to W 1852. Fine survival of well-detailed single and 2-storey, Tudor Gothic stables courtyard with battlemented towers, arched pend entrance with oriel window, crowstepped gables, hoodmoulds, tracery-effect, transomed and mullioned windows, distinctive corbelled gablehead finials and stacks and segmental-headed cart arches. Ashlar, snecked rubble and roughly squared quoins; base, string and eaves courses.
OUTER ELEVATIONS: entrance range dated 1824 to E with large archway under broad 2-stage tower, studded door in 4-stage tower to left and outer gabled bays, that to right with large 8-light tracery-effect window and cross finial. S (garden) elevation, gabled W bay dated 1852, with transomed windows, dormer windowheads and tall polygonal stacks. Stepped, gabled and battlemented N elevation with tracery-effect windows, Tudor-arched doorways, and 2-stage tower (former dovecote) dated 1826 with crowstepped gable rising above wallhead at each face.
COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: S range incorporates 5 cart arches and tall slated timber pitch-roofed open shed on cast iron columns; variety of simple vernacular lean-to ranges at N.
Some leaded diamond-pattern and small-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Polygonal, coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIORS: some timberwork including shutters and architraves retained to 1st floor windows in S range; fireplaces; evidence of loose-boxes to N range.
B group with Walled Garden with Formal Terraced Garden, South Gate, Monument and Ice House.
The very fine Stable Block at Millearne is an important survival and reminder of the grandeur of the now demolished Millearne House. Sited at right angles to, and almost adjoining the original house, the Stable Block's south elevation is remarkably elaborate in keeping with its formal setting. But, unlike some examples where ranges away from the house were less well-detailed, the north range at Millearne is designed and built to a very high standard, with the entrance range following the fashion derived from the 18th century Whim House 'with the vocabulary of a central entrance identified by a '. tower, then wings to either side' containing 'coach houses, tack rooms and accommodation above' (Buxbaum pp100-01). A photograph (illustrated in Buxbaum) shows the interior of the former dairy at Millearne with elaborate Gothic detailing. It has a vaulted plaster ceiling decorated with moulded ribbing and bosses, a piscina and stone topped tables on octagonal legs. The picture also shows small Gothic-arched windows with leaded diamond glazing indicating that the dairy may have been located within the Stable Block but this was not verified during the 2009 estate review.
The 181 acre estate of Millearne was purchased in 1820 by John George Home Drummond for a sum in the region of £6,000. Although little formal evidence exists, the design of Millearne House has been attributed to R & R Dickson (who were working at nearby Abercairny) with input from the new owner. Building was carried out over a number of years, with the progression of dates recorded at various strategic points. The asymmetry recommended by the Picturesque theories of architecture was only slowly accepted in Scotland, with just a few examples pre-dating Millearne. Scone Palace and Abbotsford are both Tudor Gothic in design, but neither displays true irregularity as seen at Millearne. The high quality detailing is still evident in the Stable Block and Walled Gardens of Millearne, as well as the strategically placed Monument and Ice House and the dignified South Gate (all separately listed). Sited to the west of the Walled Garden is a substantial Tudoresque Gardener's House. This building was provided to accommodate an expert gardener and may date from 1840 when the western Walled Garden was built to commemorate a family wedding. Millearne House was demolished in 1969, and replaced by a simple dwelling. This was subsequently replaced by a neo-Georgian house, located to the east of the site of the early 19th century Millearne House, and completed in December 2007. The new house incorporates two richly carved stone fireplaces and some coloured glass from the original house.
Other nearby listed buildings