This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0393 / 57°2'21"N
Longitude: -3.2188 / 3°13'7"W
OS Eastings: 326134
OS Northings: 794907
OS Grid: NO261949
Mapcode National: GBR W7.BFW8
Mapcode Global: WH6MC.JBFF
Entry Name: Balmoral Castle, Bridge Lodge (Police Barracks)
Listing Date: 12 March 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400395
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51463
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Crathie and Braemar
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Crathie And Braemar
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1870-1871, with later additions. U-plan, single storey, double cottage, built as police barracks and hospital. Squared and coursed granite. base course, stugged dressings. Crowstepped gables.
S cottage: L-plan. 5-bay S elevation; 3 bays to left with gabled, stone porch, buttress flanked with Tudor-arched entrance, stop-chamfered reveals; blank panel in gablehead, scroll-bracketed skewputts and finial; narrow windows on return elevations and flanking porch; outer bays with windows. 2 bays to right gabled with raised chimneybreast dividing; door to left, part-glazed with 2-pane fanlight and window to right. Return to left gabled with window in advanced stone panel with stone, piended roof, and fleur-de-lys stone finial.
W cottage: 3-bay, at right angles with S cottage. Gabled, stoned porch at centre, stop-chamfered arrises and reveals; panelled door and fanlight to Tudor-arched doorway; shield panel in gablehead, scroll-bracketed skewputts and finial stump; narrow windows on returns. Windows in flanking bays. Gabled return elevation to left with raised chimneybreast at centre with window to left. Projecting bays to rear.
Circa 1990, single storey, L-plan imitation granite concrete block addition continuing NW from rear wing of S cottage. Lean-to porch in-fill between cottages.
4-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey slates. Clay and lead ridge coping. Coped gablehead stacks.
B Group with War Memorial, Entrance Gates, Gate Lodge and Gatepiers, Quadrant Walls and Lamp Standards.
The lodge is first shown on the OS map of 1902 as a sanatorium. It inherited the name Bridge Lodge from that currently known as Gate Lodge which was built in 1858. The low retaining wall lining drive and roadside is listed with the main gates. The cottage is now again also referred to as police cottage as it serves this purpose seasonally and has been extended for this purpose. Grouped with Gate Lodge and the Entrance Gates, Gatepiers, Walls and Lamp Standards. Part of the en suite entrance ensemble to the castle.
Other nearby listed buildings