This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5826 / 55°34'57"N
Longitude: -2.6992 / 2°41'57"W
OS Eastings: 356019
OS Northings: 632324
OS Grid: NT560323
Mapcode National: GBR 93LW.FM
Mapcode Global: WH7WQ.HYW6
Entry Name: Eildon Hall, Garden House and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 22 July 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400463
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51558
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
GARDEN HOUSE: dated 1880. Single-storey and attic, 3-bay, T-plan, gabled gardener's cottage with bracketed over-hanging eaves with timber cross-bracing and lying pane glazing. Squared and snecked red sandstone rubble with pale ashlar dressings. Raised stone cills. Regency-style stone canopy dated 1880 above timber door to centre; stone-mullioned bipartite windows with chamfered openings. Ball-and-spike finials to gables at principle elevation. Single-storey lean-to timber garage addition to rear.
Multi-pane, horizontal glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Tall ridge and end stacks in pale ashlar. Clay cans. Squared, cast-iron rainwater goods with ornamental hoppers.
WALLED GARDEN: early to mid 19th century. Substantial square plan walled garden. Red sandstone rubble with ashlar coping. 15ft high walls. Segmental-arched cart entrance to NW corner with timber 2-leaf doors. Row of single-storey, lean-to red sanstone rubble garden stores adjoining N wall to N; timber columned open section with gray slates; chimney stack to centre. Large lean-to timber greenhouse with cast-iron frame adjoining inside N wall.
Part of a B-Group comprising 'Eildon Hall Including Stable Block'; 'Eildon Hall, Garden House and Walled Garden'; 'Eildon Hall, East Lodge' and 'Eildon, Nos 1, 2 And 3 Greenwells Cottages' (see separate listings).
This is a well-detailed and picturesque example of an estate gardener's house with timber eaves and lying-pane windows adding much to its character. The treatment follows in the style of the William Burn's additions to Eildon Hall (see separate listing) of 1861-67. It close proximity and functional relationship with the large walled garden adjacent to the W forms part of the wider context of the B-group (see above). An earlier L-plan building appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survay map, slightly to the E of the present Gardener's House.
The large walled garden is situated on open ground sloping gently to the S. It is notable for its high walls and is an integral part of the wider estate.
Eildon Hall was built as a Classical villa and extended by the remarkable and hugely prolific Scottish architect, William Burn for the 5th Duke of Buccleuch to accommodate visitors and servants in order to give the Duke a greater presence near to the Buccleuch Hunt, then based at St Boswells. It later became the traditional home of the Duke's eldest sons, the Earls of Dalkeith. Eildon Hall is located 1.5 miles SE of Melrose and a mile NW of Newtown St Boswells.
Other nearby listed buildings