This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5798 / 55°34'47"N
Longitude: -2.6954 / 2°41'43"W
OS Eastings: 356259
OS Northings: 632018
OS Grid: NT562320
Mapcode National: GBR 93MX.8M
Mapcode Global: WH7WX.K0QR
Entry Name: Eildon, Nos 1, 2 and 3 Greenwells Cottages
Listing Date: 22 July 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400464
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51559
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Early 19th century with later alterations (see Notes). 2-storey, 3-bay house with piended-dormers breaking eaves, now sub-divided, with slightly lower wing to W forming further dwelling. Distinctive orange sandstone rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised stone cills. Classical stone entrance porch with squared and fluted columns and moulded entablature. 2 timber doors, flanked by stone mullioned bipartite windows. Piended breaking eaves windows above, with bi-partite to centre. Irregular fenestration to W wing.
Predominantly 8- and 12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Coped skews with moulded skewputts. Coped end stacks. Clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Part of a B-Group comprising 'Eildon Hall Including Stable Block'; 'Eildon Hall, Garden House and Walled Garden'; 'Eildon Hall, East Lodge Including Gatepiers' and 'Eildon, Nos 1, 2 And 3 Greenwells Cottages' (see separate listings).
A good example of early 19th century estate house remaining largely unaltered in plan-form. It uses the same distinctive orange sandstone rubble as the Classical villa incarnation of Eildon Hall built by Dr Thomas Mein, dating it to around 1802. It in turn superceeded an earlier house on the site owned by Andrew Elliot, Lieutenant-Governor of New York before American Independence and staunch defender of British interests. After Elliot's death Greenwells was sold to Dr Mein.
Eildon Hall was later purchased by the 5th Duke of Buccleuch and extended by the emminent Scottish architect, William Burn in 1861-7 to accommodate visitors and servants in order to give the Duke a greater presence near to the Buccleuch Hunt, then based at St Boswells. It is possible that the attic dormers breaking the eaves at Greenwells were added by Burn at this time as the hunt kennels were originally located at Greenwells.
Other nearby listed buildings