This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5654 / 55°33'55"N
Longitude: -4.5654 / 4°33'55"W
OS Eastings: 238324
OS Northings: 633181
OS Grid: NS383331
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.QF6S
Mapcode Global: WH3QG.VC6T
Entry Name: Dundonald, Dankeith Leisure Centre, Dankeith House
Listing Date: 9 August 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400486
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51583
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Symington (S Ayrshire)
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Parish: Symington (S Ayrshire)
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Late 18th century core, but predominantly 19th century (see Notes). Extended circa early-mid 19th century, further extended 1880s, 1893-4 and 1909 by Allan Stevenson, alterations and additions following fire damage 1930 by James Miller. Large, asymmetrical, turreted and castellated Tudor, 2-and 3-storey mansion house with 8-bays to principal, entrance elevation to SE and with polygonal corner turrets. Sandstone ashlar, rubble to rear. Deep base course, band course, corbelled blocking course. Hoodmoulds. Raised cills and moulded architraves. Tudor-arched ground floor window openings. Some canted bay windows; some bi-and tri-partite windows with stone mullions and transoms. Some small, flat-roofed dormers. SW elevation with decorative cast iron imperial stair to garden by James Allan and Son (see Notes). Raised ashlar quoins to corners at rear.
PRINCIPAL ELEVATION TO SW: off-centre advanced 3-stage entrance tower breaking eaves to right with advanced castellated, entrance porch, dated 1893 with Gothic-arched doorway with 2-leaf boarded timber door and further turret in re-entrant angle. Oriel window above. Polygonal corner turret to far right. Advanced 3-bays to outer left with 3-storey corner turret to far left.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, cast iron rainwater goods. Ridge and gable stacks with polygonal stone stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Public rooms largely extant. Entrance vestibule with timber panelling and panelled timber doors with decorative carved doorpieces. Stairs lead to hall with decorative timber screen with round-arched arcading. Dog-leg staircase with decorative timber handrail, balusters and newels. Further timber screen to 1st floor landing. Decoratively carved timber fire surround to one public room. Other rooms with simple, moulded fire surrounds. Some decorative plaster cornicing and some simple strapwork to public room.
Predominantly dating from the 19th century, this is a fine example of a large country mansion in the castellated Tudor style. The house sits on a small hill and its stepped roofline, castellated towers and tall chimneystacks contribute to its significant presence in the landscape. The house is composed of a number of different building periods, but retains a cohesive design. The interior has a fine timber stair and screen in the entrance hall.
The house is likely to date originally from the later part of the 18th century and is depicted on the 1775 Andrew Armstrong New Map of Ayrshire. A rubble section with raised quoins at the rear of the house may be part of this earlier period. By the time of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map in 1860 the house has been extended to the north east. The house was bought in 1881 by James Lumsden White who carried out significant improvements. These were designed by the Ayr architect Allan Stevenson. He designed additions and extensions and a new gate lodge (now demolished). In 1893-4 and in 1909, he made further additions and extensions under a new owner, Mann Thomson. In 1930, further alterations and additions were made after fire damage to the designs of James Miller. The house was used as a military headquarters during WWII and then became a monastery between 1948 and 1968. Internal alterations to make numerous small bedrooms probably date from this period.
The cast iron stair on the garden elevation is by James Allan Snr and Son's Elmbank Foundry was based in Glasgow and was in existence from 1845-1960. They manufactured a variety of iron goods, including lamp stands, balconies and stairs and their work was widely exported.
Other nearby listed buildings