This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6997 / 55°41'58"N
Longitude: -3.6267 / 3°37'36"W
OS Eastings: 297862
OS Northings: 646337
OS Grid: NS978463
Mapcode National: GBR 323J.MN
Mapcode Global: WH5SF.8Z8X
Entry Name: Biggar Road, King George's Park, Carnwath Sports Pavilion
Listing Date: 16 September 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400491
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51593
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
J H Fraser Stewart, dated 1935. Single storey, symmetrical, 5-bay roughly rectangular-plan International style bowling pavilion. Advanced bowed and cantilevered central bay flanked by shorter rectangular plan wings. Cement harl on expanded metal lath cladding, brick cavity wall. Brick base course, slightly recessed window course to flanking wings, side and rear elevation, lead capping to parapet wallhead. Concrete plinth and flat concrete cantilevered canopy to bowed bay. Chamfered openings, semicircular concrete entrance plinth and flat concrete canopy to E and W end doors. Painted concrete cills to central bay Predominantly ledge and braced timber doors with square glazing to top.
Metal-framed casement windows with plate glass, 10-pane and 15-pane vertical windows to central bay. Concrete step to entrance doors. Flat felt roof.
INTERIOR: simple interior, central bowed lounge with kitchen and bar to rear, changing rooms and storage facilities in flanking wings.
Carnwath Sports Pavilion is a good, little-altered example of a small-scale interwar sports pavilion and is a rare building type for Scotland in the 1930s. The building is part of the Carnwath Recreation Park and adjacent to the pavilion are the original tennis courts and bowling greens. Provided by the Council to meet the demands for recreation facilities in the district the park is an important representation of the parish's social history, particularly towards leisure.
The International style was particularly suitable for sports and pavilion design and other Interwar examples include Penilee Sports Pavilion and Mountblow Football Pavilion (see separate listings) in the west of Scotland. However bowling pavilions are rare as many clubs were already established by this point. Bowling was one of Scotland's foremost recreational activities with the rules of the modern game stemming from the "Manual of Bowls Playing", published in 1864 by a small Scottish bowling club committee. The building and park were designed by, J.H. Fraser Stewart, a local architect, who designed other public buildings within the region, including schools and cinemas.
Other nearby listed buildings