This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9991 / 55°59'56"N
Longitude: -3.7894 / 3°47'21"W
OS Eastings: 288498
OS Northings: 679902
OS Grid: NS884799
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.V0N0
Mapcode Global: WH5QZ.RGQW
Entry Name: 19 and 19a Arnothill, Arnothall, Including Former Stables, Boundary Walls, Railings and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 October 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400507
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51613
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Falkirk South
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Thomas McFadzean, c.1876, with later early 20th century alterations to form single storey wing to right (E). Prominent 2-storey and attic, roughly 4- bay roughly H-plan villa; tall three stage Venetian Gothic tower with slated pyramidal roof. Coursed squared sandstone with some sandstone ashlar dressings and quoins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey 3-bay block with advanced gabled bays flanking tower to centre(that to left (W) canted); roughly 3-bay recessed early 20th century single storey and attic block adjoining to right (E) with advanced gabled wing to far right (S). Deep chamfered base course to late 19th century block, moulded string course becoming hoodmold above doorway to centre. Recessed moulded bas-relief panels to gable heads of outer bays of earlier block. Plain surrounds at ground floor windows; shouldered arched moulded surrounds at 1st floor. Small timber dormers to single storey wing with round arched windows, shouldered arched surround to gable end at far right (E). TOWER: tall three stage tower incorporating main entrance doorway at ground floor. Sloped banded string courses at 1st and 2nd stage; string course with consoled moulded cornice at third stage. Tall pyramidal roof with lucarned dormers and cast-iron ridge detailing. Main doorway at ground floor in moulded shouldered arched surround with fielded panel above; doorway flanked by marble columns with large sandstone capitals. Bi-partite shouldered arched windows at 2nd stage, tripartite at 3rd stage.
W ELEVATION: roughly 2 bays with moulded string course and fielded panel at ground floor. Shouldered arched window at 1st floor to left (N) breaking eaves in small gablet.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: roughly 3 bays with two broad gable ends flanking recessed centre bay. Gabled single storey block to left (E).
INTERIOR: predominantly classical interior with some detailed cornicing and ceiling roses. Some timber panelling and shutters at ground floor and timber fireplaces. Timber 4-panel doors. Stained glass window to main staircase, dated 1878 (not seen 2010).
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows, with some later timber windows. Multi-pitch roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge gablehead stacks with some clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
FORMER STABLES: single storey and attic former stables to NE with some later alterations to form garage. Painted render. Irregular fenestration with some small pane in timber sash and case glazing. Pitched slated roof.
BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: coped coursed sandstone boundary wall topped with cast-iron railings to street elevation (N). Large sandstone ashlar gatepiers with chamfered corners and coped top.
Arnothall is a well detailed later 19th century villa, built by local architect Thomas McFadzean for his own occupation. The building is set in a prominent location on high ground at the edge of Falkirk town centre and the large tower makes a significant streetscape contribution to the local skyline. The design is characteristic of the later nineteenth century and includes some Venetian Gothic detailing, in particular to the tower, which was popular during this period. The interior is also characteristic of the later nineteenth century with heavily detailed plasterwork cornices and ceiling roses.
The designs for the villa were exhibited in 1874 however construction did not commence until the feu contract for the land was completed in 1876. The villa was originally set within formal gardens, with the remnants of a terrace set into the slope to the rear of the building. The grounds also include a former coach house and stables to the NE which have latterly been converted to form a garage.
T B McFadzean was primarily a local architect, who owned and occupied the house following its completion. He was also responsible for the design of nearby Grahamston United Church (see separate listing) where he may also have worked with Peddie and Kinnear.
Other nearby listed buildings