History in Structure

Penrhyn, Lamington

A Category C Listed Building in Clydesdale East, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5621 / 55°33'43"N

Longitude: -3.6218 / 3°37'18"W

OS Eastings: 297810

OS Northings: 631020

OS Grid: NS978310

Mapcode National: GBR 3443.PY

Mapcode Global: WH5T6.BGKC

Plus Code: 9C7RH96H+R7

Entry Name: Penrhyn, Lamington

Listing Name: Lamington, Penrhyn

Listing Date: 15 January 1975

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 400559

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51668

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200400559

Location: Lamington and Wandel

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Clydesdale East

Parish: Lamington And Wandel

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Lamington

Description

Circa 1890. Single storey with gabled attic dormers, 4-bay, Z-plan house in estate style with timber bargeboards and distinctive diamond pane glazing pattern. Pentice canopies with console brackets to windows, stone mullioned box bays and stepped decorative hoodmould to former entrance bay gable. Coursed whinstone rubble with droved sandstone quoins and window margins. Later 20th century stone-based, flat-roofed addition to re-entrant angle at rear.

Timber and lead diamond pane glazing. Overhanging timber bracketed eaves, small grey slates. Chamfered corniced ridge stacks, part-shafted flues with decorative clay cans.

Statement of Interest

A good example of estate village architecture making a strong streetscape contribution to the village setting. Of particular note are the finely detailed windows retaining their original glazing pattern and form. Penrhyn was formerly known as Jubilee Cottage and was built as the dower house for the former Lamington House estate (now demolished). It was named Jubilee Cottage as it was built in 1886, the year of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. As with much of the village it was in a poor state of disrepair in the mid 20th century and renovated in the 1960s. The alterations included a new box bay in similar materials and style covering the original entrance to the south east elevation and a new stone based glazed porch to SW, which resulted alterations to the interior plan form layout of the stair. The owner (2009) notes that some of the interior woodwork is the salvaged Queensland pine pannelling from the demolished Lamington House.

In 1838 Alexander Cochrane MP (b1816), grandson of the Earl of Dundonald, inherited the Baillie family estate of Lamington at which time he took on its name to become Alexander Baillie Cochrane. He became Lord Lamington in 1883. Baillie-Cochrane inherited a modest estate and set about rebuilding it from 1844 following his marriage to Anabella Drummond, and began by making large additions to the existing shooting lodge in Elizabethan style to form the, now demolished, Lamington House. At the time Lamington village was a series of bothies stretched along the old roadside to the south of the House. He set about building a new village in a programme of improvements to the NE of the house with the earliest building dating to the 1840s and the latest to the 1870s. At this time the main road was redirected to the NW between the two gate lodges to afford privacy to Lamington House and Estate. These village buildings survive today and maintain the character of a planned estate village as they were designed.

The architect of the village is not known however it is thought William Spence (1806?-1883) may have been involved in the building of some of the village estate buildings. He built Coulter Mains house in the adjacent Coulter Parish. Spence worked as an assistant to both David Bryce and William Burn and, the first house with which he was associated, Coulter Mains house, bears elements of the Burn and Bryce school. There are elements of design in the estate houses of the village which also have these characteristics.

The Lamington Papers held in the Mitchell Archive include a letter from Architect David Bryce in 1838 stating that he encloses his revised, scaled down plans for the shooting lodge at Lamington. It is not known whether he carried out the commission for the shooting lodge which became Lamington House or whether the job was completed by someone else. The architects Wardrop and Brown are known to have carried out a music room addition in 1858.

Formerly listed as 'Lamington Village, Various Cottages and Former Post Office' at category B. Revised as a separate listing and category changed to C(S) following resurvey (2010).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.