History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

73 Dunn Street, Former Dalmarnock Ironworks

A Category C Listed Building in Calton, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8474 / 55°50'50"N

Longitude: -4.2161 / 4°12'57"W

OS Eastings: 261351

OS Northings: 663799

OS Grid: NS613637

Mapcode National: GBR 0VR.FL

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.69L4

Entry Name: 73 Dunn Street, Former Dalmarnock Ironworks

Listing Date: 2 November 2011

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 400765

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51812

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Calton

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

For William Arrol and Co, 1871, 1889 and later additions. 2-storey, 31-bay (4-bay return) rectangular-plan block with 3-storey and later attic, 6-bay block (former shuttle factory) abutting to right; part of remaining buildings of the former William Arrol's Dalmarnock Ironworks complex; large steel-framed, rectangular plan workshop to rear.

Red brick in English Garden Wall bond. Yellow brick eaves course with dentilled cornice to 2-storey section; moulded eaves course to 3-storey section with recessed glazed attic storey and cast iron balustrade above. Later corrugated metal to workshop (cladding over brickwork of N elevation). Round-arched openings at ground floor; shallow-arched openings at 1st and 2nd floors with projecting cills. Large rectangular opening to far right of 2-storey section with steel I-beam lintel and roller garage door. Lower portion of ground floor openings to centre replaced with rectangular openings. 2 large rectangular openings to N elevation, that to right with stone setts.

INTERIOR: (seen 2010): foreman's office at 1st floor with vertical timber boarded walls to workshop and some 6-pane cast-iron framed windows, accessed via replacement steel staircase. Open, steel-framed interior to workshop, with replacement Arrol 5 Ton travelling crane and post cranes.

Predominantly 32-pane, cast iron frame windows. Grey slates to piended roof at 2-storey section. Flat roof to former shuttle factory. Later corrugated, plasticised sheeted roof to workshop.

Statement of Interest

Sir William Arrol & Company was one of Britain's most important structural engineering firms and these buildings represent an important part of Glasgows industrial heritage. The long 2-storey building is one of the earliest parts of Arrol's Dalmarnock Ironworks. Together with the former shuttle factory, incorporated into the site when it expanded, these well-detailed buildings make a significant contribution to the industrial character of the streetscape. The large earlier 20th century workshops to the rear are understood to have been designed by the company as part of their development into the use of steel framed building technology.

Sir William Arrol (1839-1913) founded his business in 1868 and moved to the Dalmarnock area in 1872. The firm initially specialised in boiler-making before diversifying into structural ironwork for bridges and piers and later into hydraulic machinery and pioneering the use of steel frames for largescale industrial buildings. The size of the Dalmarnock Ironworks grew accordingly, occupying almost the whole area between Dunn Street (formerly Preston Street), Bernard Street, Nuneaton Street and Baltic Street. The former shuttle factory was built for William Gunn, a power-loom shuttle manufacter, but incorporated into the ironworks as the Arrol's company expanded.

Sir William Arrol and Co. Ltd and their associated company Tancred, Arrol & Co. constructed the new Tay Bridge and the Forth Rail Bridge (see separated listings). The firm was one of the most important structural engineering companies in Britain and celebrated internationally with works including Tower Bridge, London and the Nile Bridge, Egypt.

The development of Dalmarnock commenced following the establishment of the Dalmarnock Turkey Red Works, in 1785. By the late nineteenth century the area was characterised by industry, with numerous engineering works, public utilies and sites associated with the textile industry. However few of these industries survived the trade depression following World War I and many of the buildings have been demolished. By diversifying Arrol's managed to survive, however the rapid decline in the structural steel industry during the 1980s led to the transferring of the remaining manufacturing work at Dalmarnock to England. In 1987 the works were closed and partially demolished. The surviving buildings currently operate as a blast cleaning works.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.