This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6155 / 55°36'55"N
Longitude: -3.4113 / 3°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 311209
OS Northings: 636671
OS Grid: NT112366
Mapcode National: GBR 43MH.8T
Mapcode Global: WH6V7.K3TX
Entry Name: Broughton, Broughton Stores
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400767
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51814
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Late 18th century with later alterations, single storey street front shop with 3-bays off centre to right, L-plan, with 20th century blockwork extension to rear. Finely pointed whinstone rubble, with painted sandstone quoins and squared hoodmoulds. Stone mullions removed.
Fixed pane glazing. Bi-fold timber boarded door with pen-light over. Small graded grey slate roofs. Small metal rooflights, corrugated roof to later extension. Corniced ashlar stacks with plain cans. Simple conical ventilator to rear.
INTERIOR: modernised to form one open plan shop area.
B-Group with Avernish, Broughton Green House, Dassfauld, Dumra, Kintyre Cottage, The Lodge.
Broughton Stores is a good example of a street front village property which makes a contribution to the streetscape of the local area. It is likely that this building was originally built at the same height as the neighbouring cottages but raised at the time when the hoodmoulded windows were installed. The building is thought to have been used as a schoolroom in the 1860s and 1870s.
Broughton Village was developed as an estate village to the former Broughton House and owned by the Lairds of the Barony of Broughton until 1921 at which point it was put up for public sale. The Symington, Broughton and Biggar Railway was opened in 1860 allowing business men to travel daily to Glasgow and Edinburgh resulting in an expansion of the village with new villas being built although the main street has retained its distinct early 19th century form.
Formerly listed as part of a long run of cottages, 'Broughton Village, 7 Cottages, Broughton Green House, Etc (See Paper List for Full Details)' List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) in 2011 following reassessment of the street.
Other nearby listed buildings