This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6157 / 55°36'56"N
Longitude: -3.4113 / 3°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 311206
OS Northings: 636694
OS Grid: NT112366
Mapcode National: GBR 43MH.8R
Mapcode Global: WH6V7.K3SR
Entry Name: Broughton, Dassfauld
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400768
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51815
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Late 18th century with early 20th century additions. Single storey 3-bay, symmetrical, L-plan street front cottage with canted bay dormer windows on the main street of the village. Squared coursed whinstone rubble with sandstone quoins and margins. Painted and rendered rear elevation. Early 21st century patio doors to rear.
Half-glazed bi-fold timber entrance door with pen-light over. 8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Small grey graded slate roofs, corniced ashlar stack with octagonal clay cans. Slated dormers with timber side cheeks. Corrugated roof to rear section.
INTERIOR: not seen (2011)
B-Group with Avernish, Broughton Green House, Broughton Stores, Dumra, Kintyre Cottage, The Lodge.
Dassfauld is a good example of a small village cottage central located on the main street of the village and making a good contribution to the streetscape and local area. It is the only cottage in the run to have dormer windows.
Broughton Village was developed as an estate village to the former Broughton House and owned by the Lairds of the Barony of Broughton until 1921 at which point it was put up for public sale. The Symington, Broughton and Biggar Railway was opened in 1860 allowing business men to travel daily to Glasgow and Edinburgh resulting in an expansion of the village with new villas being built although the main street has retained its distinct early 19th century form.
When the estate was sold off in 1921 Dassfauld was bought by John Martin who was related to the Provost Martin of Biggar, for use as a summer residence. He installed the two dormer windows in the roof to form bedrooms which distinguished it from the rest of the run of lower cottages in the street.
Formerly listed as part of a long run of cottages, 'Broughton Village, 7 Cottages, Broughton Green House, Etc (See Paper List for Full Details)' List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) in 2011 following reassessment of the street.
Other nearby listed buildings