This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6156 / 55°36'56"N
Longitude: -3.4113 / 3°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 311209
OS Northings: 636679
OS Grid: NT112366
Mapcode National: GBR 43MH.8S
Mapcode Global: WH6V7.K3TV
Entry Name: Broughton, Kintyre Cottage
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400770
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51817
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Late 18th century, low single storey, 3-bay, symmetrical, L-plan street front cottage on the main street of the village. Squared rubble with sandstone quoins and margins. Large glazed opening to painted rear elevation.
Half glazed timber entrance door. uPVC sash windows. Modern slates, corniced ashlar stacks with octagonal clay cans.
INTERIOR: modernised interior. Recess to main room covers former linking doorway to village stores.
B-Group with Avernish, Broughton Green House, Broughton Stores, Dassfauld, Dumra, The Lodge.
Kintyre Cottage, set in the middle of a traditional run of buildings, is an example of a small village cottage central located on the main street and making a good contribution to the streetscape and local area.
Broughton Village was developed as an estate village to the former Broughton House and owned by the Lairds of the Barony of Broughton until 1921 at which point it was put up for public sale. The Symington, Broughton and Biggar Railway was opened in 1860 allowing business men to travel daily to Glasgow and Edinburgh resulting in an expansion of the village with new villas being built although the main street has retained its distinct early 19th century form.
Formerly listed as part of a long run of cottages, 'Broughton Village, 7 Cottages, Broughton Green House, Etc (See Paper List for Full Details)' List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) in 2011 following reassessment of the street.
Other nearby listed buildings