This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3614 / 57°21'41"N
Longitude: -3.6257 / 3°37'32"W
OS Eastings: 302303
OS Northings: 831276
OS Grid: NJ023312
Mapcode National: GBR K9D8.CX6
Mapcode Global: WH5JH.87QG
Entry Name: Camerorie, Stamford Cottage
Listing Date: 24 February 2012
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400825
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51882
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Grantown On Spey
Town: Grantown On Spey
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Traditional County: Morayshire
Early to mid 19th century. Single storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan bothy/dwelling with later addition (see Notes). Rubble, painted white. Largely intact interior including box bed, fitted press and cupboards. Some early timber to roof with horizontal cabers; heather thatch under tin. Mid 20th century extension to N gable end following exisiting building plan and profile.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber doorway to centre; small square window to left; timber door to right (within later addition). S (GABLE) ELEVATION: small square window set low to right. W (REAR) ELEVATION: larger windows to centre and left (later addition). Blind gable facing road to N (later addition).
Fixed 4-pane glazing pattern to smaller timber-framed windows; 4-pane glazing to larger timber sash and case windows. Rubble end stack to S gable. Turf and heather thatch under tin.
INTERIOR: narrow entrance passage on N/S axis. Principal room to S: raised box bed to N wall; panelled timber doors to fitted cupboard to right; fireplace with timber surround and overmantle to S wall and further cupboard with single door to right; timber lined ceiling; some wallpaper. Further room situated to centre at rear with fitted recess to S wall and internal 6-pane timber window to passage wall. Kitchen and bathroom to later addition adjoining N gable.
Stamford Cottage is an early-mid 19th century dwelling with a largely intact interior demonstrating authentic vernacular construction methods. The principal room to the south has a box bed, fitted press and cupboards and a timber fireplace. The roof structure features waney edge timbers and horizontal caber construction, adding to the interest, and has the remains of a heather and turf thatch beneath the tin.
Once a common building type across the north of Scotland, very few rural vernacular dwellings with 19th century room configurations and interiors now survive. The handful of known examples recognised through listing in the north east of Scotland include Fleuchats in Glen Conrie and Tomintoul Croft near Braemar (see separate listings).
Evident on the Ordnance Survey map of 1868, the building methods evidence a mid 19th century building date or earlier. Stamford Cottage is situated with its gable-end facing the former military road built between 1748 and 1757 by Major Caulfield, running from Coupar Angus to Fort George. This section of the road across Dava Moor was used as a cattle droving route.
A mid 20th century kitchen and bathroom addition to the N gable is in keeping with the form and profile of the earlier structure. Uninhabited since the early 1990s, the later addition helped to ensure continued habitation up to that time. The timber floors to the earlier sections of the property are partially rotted (2011). There are some associated timber outbuildings lining the roadside to the west.
Other nearby listed buildings