History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strathtyrum House, Dovecot

A Category B Listed Building in St Andrews, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3448 / 56°20'41"N

Longitude: -2.8242 / 2°49'27"W

OS Eastings: 349153

OS Northings: 717241

OS Grid: NO491172

Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.47GF

Mapcode Global: WH7RZ.LSCD

Entry Name: Strathtyrum House, Dovecot

Listing Date: 9 August 2012

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 401276

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51997

Building Class: Cultural

Location: St Andrews and St Leonards

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: St Andrews

Parish: St Andrews And St Leonards

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
St Andrews

Description

Late 17th or early 18th century; restored 1819 (dated). Single chamber rectangular-plan lectern dovecot. 5.8m long by 5.4m wide. Sandstone rubble with hammer-dressed quoins. Slate roof. Ashlar skews with shouldered skewputts.

SOUTH ELEVATION: timber boarded door with hammer dressed surround to centre; projecting alighting ledge returning to rear elevation. Stone panel with initials I.C. and inscribed "Repaired 1819"; 6 round-arched flight holes breaking eaves above, surmounted by scrolled armorial pediment.

Stone steps to rear (N) elevation rising to further timber boarded door (probably added 1819).

INTERIOR: largely intact stone nesting boxes line all four interior walls from floor to ceiling.

Statement of Interest

A fine and largely intact lectern dovecot. Restored in 1819, the building has many characteristics of the classic lectern-type dovecote which began to emerge in the 16th and 17th centuries. The lean to roof faces south so that the birds could sit in the sun, whilst being protected from the north wind by the high back wall. The largely intact interior adds significantly to the interest.

Dovecots were a valuable source of meat and manure but also a visible symbol of the wealth and status of the landowners and burgesses. After 1617, only burgesses who had considerable lands were permitted to build dovecots.

The S entrance was blocked when the dovecot was recorded by the National Monuments Record in 1964. The dovecot is intervisible with Stratyrum House (see separate listing).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.