This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5243 / 55°31'27"N
Longitude: -4.6263 / 4°37'34"W
OS Eastings: 234308
OS Northings: 628751
OS Grid: NS343287
Mapcode National: GBR 39.T5C2
Mapcode Global: WH2PH.XD4V
Entry Name: Southwood Road, Dunalton House and Lodge
Listing Date: 13 October 2013
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 401917
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52117
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Troon
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James Scott Hay, 1906. 2-storey, L-plan, multi-gabled, Arts and Crafts house and associated lodge situated within their own grounds. White render with red sandstone margins. Raised cills; overhanging eaves; timber bargeboards; some red hanging tiles at gable apices. Some advanced bays; one canted with piended roof. Off-centre steps lead to Tudor-arched moulded and corniced doorway with carved coat-of arms above; panelled timber entrance door; 4-light projecting window bay to left. Variety of window openings including bi-and tri-partite. Round turret to left with candle-snuffer roof.
Square-plan tower to rear (SW) with viewing platform and attached stair turret.
Predominantly 6-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows; some fixed multi-pane windows. Red tiles. Tall, corniced wallhead and gable stacks.
LODGE: 2-storey, square-plan gabled Arts and Crafts lodge with distinctive bell-cast roofed stair tower. Timber bargeboarding. Raised cills; overhanging eaves. Hanging red tiles. Predominantly 4-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows; some casement windows.
Dating from 1906 Dunalton House and its Lodge are good examples of Arts and Crafts architecture. Designed by local architect James Scott Hay, Dunalton is a key part of this area of Troon. The area is characterised by large high quality houses dating from around the turn of the century built specifically as second homes for prosperous merchants from Glasgow. The quality and variety of the architecture of these houses is significant tangible evidence of the importance and wealth of Glasgow and the social changes which that wealth brought about.
Dunalton has many key elements of Arts and Crafts architecture, such as the red tiled roof with low swept areas, red hanging tiles, white render, overhanging eaves, and tri-partite and bi-partite windows with multi-pane glazing. These have been combined with characteristically Scottish elements such as the round tower with its candle-snuffer roof and narrow stair turret to the square plan viewing platform tower. Particularly distinctive to the West of Scotland is the use of red sandstone for the margins, dressings and doorpiece. These elements combined create an architectural composition which is distinctive and carefully designed. The house seems to have been divided into 2 properties in 1953, John Laird & Son as architects.
The setting of Dunalton remains unchanged from the way it appears on the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map and its accompanying Lodge in the same style and materials also add to its interest in listing terms. The Lodge is a carefully composed smaller version of the main house with a matching tower with a candle-snuffer roof.
The ideals of the Arts and Crafts movement date back to the 1860s when exponents such as William Morris reacted against the machine age and advocated a return to traditional craftsmanship. In architectural terms this translated into using traditional building skills and local materials with an emphasis on detailed craftsmanship and a more informal approach to planning interior spaces.
Between 1890 and 1914, the Southwood area of Troon, lying immediately south of the town was laid out with a number of large, self-contained houses, often with lodges and set within their own grounds. The land had belonged to the Duke of Portland and the houses were popular as second homes for merchants from Glasgow who were keen to have a property on the coast and which was also close to the golf course.
James Scott Hay (1871-1928) was based in Kilmarnock and worked mostly in the local area. He designed a variety of building types, including villas, churches and public buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings