History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dornock Village, Dornock House, Old Farmhouse and Steading, Including Detached Tall West Block

A Category A Listed Building in Dornock, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9827 / 54°58'57"N

Longitude: -3.2027 / 3°12'9"W

OS Eastings: 323130

OS Northings: 566011

OS Grid: NY231660

Mapcode National: GBR 6B2T.FM

Mapcode Global: WH6YF.S03Z

Entry Name: Dornock Village, Dornock House, Old Farmhouse and Steading, Including Detached Tall West Block

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 402741

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3792

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dornock

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Parish: Dornock

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Bowness-on-Solway

Description

Numerous building dates, but mainly 18th century. Large farm

steading complex incorporating 2-storey and originally

free-standing early classical (1700/30) house in long

rectangular-plan E block (latter links with Dornock Town

farmhouse - listed separately); central lower linking block

(mostly byre) altered and with brick additions, parallel

ranges at N with walled rectangular courtyard between. Built

mostly of red rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roofs.

House: abandoned circa 1950; originally 4 bays with door in

3rd bay extended by 2 bays in to full-height long mid 18th

century range to E. Round-arched and key-stoned door

architrave with impost blocks, foliate ornament in spandrels,

shallow polished ashlar panel links door to cill above.

Windows in plain architraves and with moulded cills; right

bay much altered and with garage slapping. 1st floor windows

break eaves band; moulded eaves cornice; straight skews;

stacks removed. Lean-to's at rear and openings in chamfered

margins.

Interior virtually gutted, but some panelled window shutters,

original chimneypiece at ground.

E range: plain barn, with alterations. 2 left bays (with

architraved windows and wide kitchen fireplace) form part of

house. Modern lean-to glass-house; roughly-hewn roof timbers

with wooden pegs.

Courtyard ranges at W both probably 2nd half 18th century;

tall barn nearest E; long implement shed opposite.

Barn: segmental-arched barn door to courtyard in tall central projection; lean-to's adjoin at N. Gable end and chimney flue

of earlier building incorporated at NE corner (visible from

interior).

Detached west block: (westmost range) long tall range all

arcaded to courtyard at ground, arches of differing width and

now mostly blocked. Loft above with square-headed openings;

bothy at S end.

Statement of Interest

Present farmhouse, on S side of road, not included in

listing.

B group with Dornock Town farmhouse and steading north range:

Item 2 and 3.

Upgraded B to A 30.9.87

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.