This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1907 / 56°11'26"N
Longitude: -2.8174 / 2°49'2"W
OS Eastings: 349371
OS Northings: 700088
OS Grid: NO493000
Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.FWH5
Mapcode Global: WH7SR.PNLH
Entry Name: Elie, High Street, Hycroft Lodge and Coach House (Former Offices) Including Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 8 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 402913
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30966
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Elie and Earlsferry
Town: Elie And Earlsferry
Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1830. Single storey and attic, gabled Italianate style lodge with shallow-pitched roof, broad eaves; former office range fronting High Street, flanking boundary walls and gatepiers. Coursed sandstone rubble with droved ashlar dressings (rendered and painted to High Street elevations).
E ELEVATION: doorpiece with cantilevered slab-gablet hood to right; shallow canted bay to left. First floor bipartite above with gablet head breaking eaves. Remodelled single-storey section to outer left.
N ELEVATION: small, arched lattice window to attic gable. 2-storey, flat-roofed building adjoining to right: 3 ground and 2 first floor windows with painted margins. Shouldered stack.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Cast iron rainwater goods.
COACH HOUSE (FORMER OFFICES) ' Map Ref NO 49353 00081: single-storey and attic, former office range (converted to dwelling) located to right of gatepiers. 2 margin paned windows and 2 gablet dormerheads. Courtyard elevation to E with segmental-arched opening, French-doors and margin paned lights. Slated roof, piended to E with low ashlar stack. 2 windows and dormer to rear (S) elevation.
WALLS AND GATEPIERS: forming entrance to former office court. 2 painted square-plan ashlar gatepiers with cornices and ball finials. Upswept walls flanking adjoining lodge and coach house. Ornately carved armorial panel re-set within S wall to rear of court.
Hycroft Lodge is a good, early to mid 19th century Italianate style lodge with associated former office range occupying a prominent location at High Street and Lodge Walk. The ball-finialled gatepiers probably came from the earlier 18th century Elie Lodge (demolished 1807). The elaborately carved armorial panel set in the garden wall appears to be of at least early 18th century origin and is probably also associated with Capatin James Kyd who built Elie Lodge.
Statutory Address and List Description updated, 2012. Previously listed as "ELIE 22 HIGH STREET THE LODGE AND OFFICES TO HYCROFT".
Other nearby listed buildings