This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5709 / 57°34'15"N
Longitude: -4.0389 / 4°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 278147
OS Northings: 855255
OS Grid: NH781552
Mapcode National: GBR J8DQ.8LQ
Mapcode Global: WH4FZ.XYWZ
Entry Name: 58, 59, 60 High Street, Ardersier
Listing Date: 17 April 1986
Last Amended: 16 July 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 405154
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1745
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Culloden and Ardersier
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, panelled end stacks, ashlar coped skews, and pitched slate roofs, raised at left (no 59 and no 60). Enlarged stacks to centre and left.
Interior not seen 2014.
Situated in the centre of Ardersier, the houses at 58, 59 and 60 High Street are important examples of substantial late 18th century village houses. Comprising two storeys with attics, set together, these buildings form a street elevation of some pretension. Constructed in the then fashionable classical style, they are built from ashlar and have predominantly evenly spaced bays with raised margins and a cill and eaves course. As is typical of properties of this period, the first floor windows are set close to the eaves. The buildings appear with largely the same footprint as it has now on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1881, which was surveyed in 1878.
It is likely that 58, 59 and 60 High Street were built as a direct consequence of the construction of the nearby Fort George and it echoes the simple classical proportions of the buildings at the fort.
The Buildings of Scotland Highlands and Islands volume notes that Ardersier was laid out by the Campbells of Cawdor in the 18th century. Ardersier has its origins in the communities of Stuarton and Campbelltown. Its strategic position close to the narrowest sea crossing across the Moray Firth played a large part in its development from the mid-18th century. While it functioned primarily as a fishing village, the Jacobite Rising had an impact on its history.
The Jacobite Rising of 1745–6 proved to be the last attempt by the Stewart dynasty to regain the British throne from the Hanoverians. Following the Battle of Culloden, the government introduced ruthless measures to suppress Jacobite ambitions. Fort George was one of them, and it was built between 1748-69, just a short distance from Ardersier. It was designed as the main garrison fortress in the Scottish Highlands and named after King George II (1727–60). Intended as an impregnable army base, it was designed on a monumental scale, using sophisticated defence standards, with heavy guns covering every angle. Within the boundary walls was accommodation for a governor, officers, and artillery detachment and a 1,600-strong infantry garrison. It also housed more than 80 guns, a magazine for 2,500 gunpowder barrels, ordnance and provision stores, a brewhouse and a chapel.
The Statistical Account for the parish of Ardersier notes that, 'In the village of Campbelltown, which owes its birth to the garrison of Fort-George, there are 293 souls.' The ordnance survey map of 1881 (surveyed 1878) shows Ardersier under its previous names of Stuarton at the left side of the village, and Campbelltown, at the right side of the village. The village became known officially as Ardersier in the 1970s.
The impact of the building of Fort George for the community was significant. It provided a ready market for goods and a number of soldiers also decided to stay in Ardersier following their commission.
Statutory address and listed building record updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Ardersier Village, 58, 59, 60 High Street (R-L)'
Other nearby listed buildings