History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

27-41 (Odd Numbers) Forrest Road, Edinburgh

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9459 / 55°56'45"N

Longitude: -3.1914 / 3°11'29"W

OS Eastings: 325687

OS Northings: 673183

OS Grid: NT256731

Mapcode National: GBR 8PJ.11

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YTF4

Entry Name: 27-41 (Odd Numbers) Forrest Road, Edinburgh

Listing Date: 29 March 2001

Last Amended: 17 July 2015

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 405357

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47864

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

1872. 4-storey 10-bay asymmetrical Scots Baronial tenement block with canted bay to corner of Forresthill and advanced gabled block with pend to outer left. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with polished dressings (painted to ground). Continuous cornice to ground floor; moulded string course between 2nd and 3rd floors. Advanced 4-bay block with pyramidal slated spirelets to canted windows at corners to outer right: later pilastered limestone-faced shop front (black granite below cills) to ground floor: recessed glazed door with plate glass fanlight flanked by black granite Doric columns to outer right; bipartites in 2nd bay from right at 1st and 2nd floors; carved panel to centre at 3rd floor; 2 timber dormers to attic. 5-bay recessed block to centre: pilastraded shops: foliated colonnettes remaining at No 39; Art Deco shop with recessed border glazed door, inset marble step and green marble facing at No 35 bratishing to continuous cornice; timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights in depressed-arched surrounds to outer right and 2nd bay from left; piend-roofed tripartite canted window to centre; pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves in 1st and 2nd bays from left and 1st bay from right; crowstepped dormerhead and bipartites in 2nd bay from right. Advanced gabled block to left: shoulder-arched pend to ground floor: 4-leaf timber boarded studded door with decorative metal grille; bipartites to upper floors; carved panel between 1st and 2nd floors; small blind arrow slit in crowstepped gable; 2-storey corbelled bartizan with finialled slated conical roof and original curved glazing in re-entrant angle.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ridge stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Interest

Strategically-sited terrace of tenements, on the road leading from the High Street to the Meadows.

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton s (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and the new George IV Bridge).

Forrest Road, which first appears on Pollock's 1834 Plan of Edinburgh, was built on the grounds of the former Poor House.

The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of baronial style tenement blocks on Forrest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

The tenement block of 27-41 Forrest Road is visible on the Ordnance Survey map of Edinburgh 1877.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '27-41 (Odd nos) Forrest Road'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.