This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9419 / 55°56'30"N
Longitude: -3.2037 / 3°12'13"W
OS Eastings: 324910
OS Northings: 672745
OS Grid: NT249727
Mapcode National: GBR 8LK.KH
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.RXL8
Entry Name: 1, 1A and 3 Leven Street, Edinburgh
Listing Date: 21 June 1982
Last Amended: 17 July 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 405442
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29259
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
E (LEVEN STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Single windows to 3 bays to right at ground; recessed door to outer left; regular fenestration to upper floors; blind windows to outer right of 1st and 2nd floors.
N (GILMORE PLACE) ELEVATION: flat-roofed single-storey addition at ground; 3-bay canted section to corner at left; panelled 2-leaf timber entrance door; round-arched fanlight; pilasters supporting moulded keystoned arch; framing fluted pilasters and recessed panel above; narrow single narrow windows flanking; single windows with projecting cills to 3 bays to right; plain single window in return to right; regular fenestration to upper floors; blind window to centre of 3rd floor of bow; block pediment above.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, with some 2- and 3-pane replacements. Grey slate piended roof, conical to bowed section; coped rendered stacks with corniced cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
B Group with 5-15, 17-21, 23 and 25-29B Gilmore Place.
Land at Lochrin, to the southwest of the city, was feued from the Trades Maiden Hospital in 1800 by Samuel Gilmour who, by 1804 had lain out the street of Gilmore Place (originally Gilmour Place). The estate was auctioned off by the Gilmour Trust estate in 1807, following which feus were developed independently. The 1, 1A and 3 Leven Street feu is marked as belonging to a Mr Kirk on Kirkwood's 1817 Plan of the city of Edinburgh. The corner tenement first appears on Wood's 1823 Plan of the City of Edinburgh.
Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '1, 1A and 3 Leven Street'
Other nearby listed buildings