History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leeswood Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leeswood, Flintshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1442 / 53°8'39"N

Longitude: -3.1189 / 3°7'8"W

OS Eastings: 325256

OS Northings: 361372

OS Grid: SJ252613

Mapcode National: GBR 70.5YQT

Mapcode Global: WH77D.272D

Plus Code: 9C5R4VVJ+MC

Entry Name: Leeswood Hall

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 5 December 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 567

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on the crest of hill close to the by-road from Mold to Leeswood village. Set in an exceptional early C18 landscape park.

County: Flintshire

Community: Leeswood and Pontblyddyn

Community: Leeswood

Locality: Leeswood Hall

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Nerquis

History

Built c1724-6 for Sir George Wynne, probably to designs by Francis Smith, architect of Warwick. Wynne amassed a large fortune in the early decades of the eighteenth century when a rich lead seam was found on his land at Halkyn Mountain. It is reputed that the construction of the house cost him £40,000. Wynne also employed Stephen Switzer to design the landscape park including a large number of highly decorative garden buildings. By 1798 the house was owned by the Rev. Hope Eyton who carried out substantial alterations in the early C19. He greatly reduced the size of the building, demolishing long side wings and probably the top storey of the main block. The former central courtyard was filled-in and now forms the present dining room, the interior details are predominately early C19 in character.

Exterior

NW garden front of 2 storeys, 2 4 2 bays wide (original end bays slightly advanced). Cement rendered red brick, ashlar dressings, slate roofs with rendered stacks. Heavy moulded cornice breaks forward over giant Corinthian pilasters to angles, balustraded parapet to centre bays; overall sill band, lugged architraves, segmental pediments over ground floor windows with aprons in stone plinth. Small-pane Regency sash windows, later porch in angle towards right. Fluted cornice brackets set in walls between upper outer bays. Similar treatment to 4-bay right elevation; left flank awaiting reconstruction at time of survey (1996), banded quoins to rear angle with added brick service wing to rear.

Interior

Retains some original 1720s plasterwork, panelled doors and window splays, marble chimney pieces with curved angles and carved keyblocks, that to main reception room containing carved arched dolphin, the Wynne emblem. Principle suite of public rooms and staircase hall are Regency with reeded architraves, restrained plasterwork, fine imperial staircase with iron balustrade etc. Rear drawing room contains segmental plasterwork ceiling. Present kitchen was former library and contains C18 marble fireplace with keystone. Billiard room possibly the former servants hall has stone flagged floor and contains re-used C17 wooden fireplace and overmantle, decorated with strapwork detailing and the carved date 1667. Upper floor served by spinal corridor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II* as an important early C18 country house by a major regional architect for a notable local family.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.