This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1148 / 53°6'53"N
Longitude: -3.3104 / 3°18'37"W
OS Eastings: 312387
OS Northings: 358312
OS Grid: SJ123583
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.7SDZ
Mapcode Global: WH779.3ZW0
Entry Name: No.12a St.peter's Square (Previously Listed As Shop Adjoining Castle Hotel Bar),,,,,clwyd,
Listing Date: 4 July 1966
Last Amended: 12 July 2006
Source ID: 919
Building Class: Commercial
Location: In a block of buildings facing W into the Square, adjoining The Seven Eyes to the R.
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Built-Up Area: Ruthin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
C17 gable-fronted range, probably slightly earlier than Sir Richard Clough's reconstruction of the Seven Eyes to the R, and partly incorporated into it. The N side was rebuilt in brick, possibly in the C18. The front gable end has imitation timber-framing dated 1883, including shop-front; an old post-card, pre-dating 1883, shows the front rendered with a jetty. The rear end has been reduced, exposing an internal partition; an old photograph shows a single-storey range projecting.
Two-storey range with gabled front of late C19 box-panelling, on an earlier stone plinth, under a tiled roof; the upper storey is jettied. Ground floor is box panelled with brick nogging. Entrance to L, with double half-glazed panelled doors with small-pane glazing, with similar side-light on R. Shop window to R, a canted bay window with moulded mullions and a transom, above which is small-pane glazing. Jetty bressumer supported by brackets and bearing fascia. Upper storey has plastered box panels and passing braces, with 4-light wooden casement window with decorative quarry glazing. Box panelling continues to L- and R-returns. Tie-beam bears a date of '1883' flanked by lines of rosettes; corbel above, possibly for a former sign. Gable has herring-bone studding, moulded barge boards and tall finial.
The N side is of brick, with signs of alterations. Boarded door with segmental head to centre; 2-light small-pane casement to its R, also with segmental head, and similar window above, immediately under the eaves. To L of doorway is a shadow of part of a gable, beyond which is a brick cornice, probably over a jetty bressumer. Ground floor has a 3-light window with quarries, a single light to far L and a blocked opening to R. Upper storey has 2 x 3-light windows with quarries. The S side is of brick with a saw-tooth brick cornice over a jetty bressumer, with 4-light wooden casement to ground, the lights with irregular small-pane glazing; upper storey has 3-light transomed casement with quarry glazing. The building appears to have been shortened, the rear gable end a cross-section, now plastered over: there is a cross-beam, beneath the height of the side bressumers, with a central post under. Possible remains of fireplace to L. Upper storey has infilled central doorway, flanked by 2 inserted windows, shallow 2-light casements with quarries; small boarded opening to attic.
Inside shop, one plain cross-beam, and small fireplace to N wall.
Listed as a C17 gable-fronted town-house retaining its character, which was developed in the C18 and late C19, including conversion to a shop. Group value with adjoining Seven Eyes.
Other nearby listed buildings