History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos.10-12 (Even), Weston Drive (Ne Side),,,,,clwyd,

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhosddu, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0589 / 53°3'32"N

Longitude: -3.0032 / 3°0'11"W

OS Eastings: 332861

OS Northings: 351765

OS Grid: SJ328517

Mapcode National: GBR 75.C90P

Mapcode Global: WH88Y.VC2T

Plus Code: 9C5R3X5W+HP

Entry Name: Nos.10-12 (Even), Weston Drive (Ne Side),,,,,clwyd,

Listing Date: 31 January 1994

Last Amended: 31 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1856

Building Class: Domestic

Location: 10-12 Weston Drive

County: Wrexham

Community: Rhosddu (Rhos-ddu)

Community: Rhosddu

Built-Up Area: Wrexham

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Wrexham

History

Originally known as Rhosddu Lodge, and according to Palmer, built between 1835 and 1844, though described as 'recently erected' in sale particulars of 1862. The original house was extended and partially remodelled c1900, and subdivided c1950.

Exterior

Stucco over brick, the roof originally slate but renewed with tile. 2 storeyed, the original building (No 10) is square in plan, with entrance in centre of eastern elevation. This elevation is a 3 window range, with embattled porch (probably an addition of c1900) with chamfered 4-centered archway, and nailed inner doors. Sash window to left of doorway, and a wood mullioned and transomed window above with gothick upper panes. Blind painted similar window to left above. Right of the doorway, a full-height canted and embattled bay window with leaded lights to mullioned and transomed windows also appears to be an addition of c1900. Verandah with swept roof (formerly lead) carried on cast iron open-work posts with Greek motifs, wraps round the left hand bay, and continues across the garden front and rear elevation. 2-window range to garden front, with gothick upper panes (with some stained glass in ground floor windows. Projecting stack in rear elevation flanked by 2 oriel windows, probably additions of c1900.

No 12 was formerly the rear wing of the main house, and was extensively remodelled c1900. It comprises 2 parallel ranges set back from the building, with original entrance (now disused) in storyed porch which is built across an angle: Heavy stone piers carry upper storey, which has parapet, originally embattled. Fenestration throughout has been renewed, and the entrance resited in the return elevation.

Interior

No 10 retains much of its original interior detail, including C18 style staircase, reeded doorcases and cornice rails, with some detail (including 2 fireplaces) the result of a remodelling of c1900.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.