This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6965 / 51°41'47"N
Longitude: -2.681 / 2°40'51"W
OS Eastings: 353027
OS Northings: 199968
OS Grid: ST530999
Mapcode National: GBR JM.46BM
Mapcode Global: VH87F.HM0B
Entry Name: Former Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 June 1971
Last Amended: 29 September 2000
Source ID: 2054
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: High on the hillside about 400m west of Tintern Abbbey and reached by a paved footpath from Chapel Lane.
Community: Tintern (Tyndyrn)
Locality: Chapel Hill
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A church which is medieval in origin and part of the walling survives, particularly in the battered east end, but there seem to be no datable features. The church was very thoroughly restored in 1866 by John Prichard, the Llandaff diocesan architect, although the tower looks more like the work of his partner J P Seddon. The Decorated details, especially the east window, may reflect a C14 or early C15 original. The parish of Chapel Hill was amalgamated with Tintern Parva in 1902 and this church was made redundant in 1972. It was burnt in 1977 and has been a roofless ruin ever since.
The church is built of random limestone rubble with Bath stone quoins and dressings, only the tower is still roofed and this has stone slates. Nave and chancel in line with a south tower also acting as the porch, small north vestry. The walls are complete as is the Decorated tracery in the east and west windows. The north wall has three single light windows with cusped heads and the south wall has two. The tower is complete with a flat entrance arch on the outside and a cranked one on the inside, the plank door and holy water stoup survive. Three stage square tower with quoins, the second stage has a single light opening with cusped head. The bell stage has paired louvred openings with cusped heads, small single light opening in the gable above, and another in the rear gable. Coped gables with apex cross to front. The churchyard contains a good selection of C19 monuments of which three arel listed.
Two small aumbries, one by the door and one by the altar. The first has a cusped head, the second has an arched head with decorated tracery infill.
Included mainly for the restoration by John Prichard, the Diocesan architect of Llandaff, as a part of his work of restoring the medieval churches in the diocese. Despite the fire damage the church retains considerable architectural interest.
Other nearby listed buildings