This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6331 / 51°37'59"N
Longitude: -2.9079 / 2°54'28"W
OS Eastings: 337259
OS Northings: 193089
OS Grid: ST372930
Mapcode National: GBR J9.898F
Mapcode Global: VH7B7.K62X
Entry Name: Garn Fawr (or Upper Garn)
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 6 December 2005
Source ID: 2696
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the west side of the minor road which follows the course of the river Usk from Tredunnock to Llanhennock and set above it on a north-east facing hillside.
Community: Llanhennock (Llanhenwg)
Built-Up Area: Caerleon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This house is, in appearance, a complete example of an 'Exotic' small house of the late C16, but the contradictory evidence demonstrates that this is probably not the case. Its features are compatible with the datestone 'A.N.D.N. 1581' over an upstairs fireplace, but the fireplace must have been introduced as it is earlier than the room it stands in. It seems likely that the main range dates from the late C16, say 1580-1600 and the wing was added in the second quarter of the C17, say 1625-40. The house was clearly altered in the C19, and it is known that this was done before 1853, but not long before, as it was reported in 1860 that alterations had put 'an entire new face on the structure'. The house was also reroofed at that period and given the porch and the new circular shafts on the wing chimney. As to whether any of the mullioned windows are in-situ, or are all a C19 introduction, this could only be ascertained if the render were removed. The house was restored in 1970 and has been further extended and improved c2000.
The house is built of roughly coursed and squared local red sandstone rubble, which has been given a cement roughcast on the north and east elevations, limestone window dressings; Welsh slate roof, renewed since listing in 1952, stone stacks. L-shaped plan with the foot of the L projecting forward from the left of the main elevation. Single depth 2-unit main range with modern outshut along the rear wall, single depth cross-wing. Two storeys with attics at least in part, certainly in the wing. All the windows on the main elevations are Bath stone with leaded lattice casements.
The entrance elevation of the main range has an off-centre door between two leaded 3-light stone mullioned windows with arched heads, hollow chamfers and hoodmoulds, square headed 3-light ones above them. Gabled porch with 'Tudor' 4-centred headed entry and plank door within, bargeboarded gable with ball finial, carved panel over the entrance arch. Steeply pitched roof with three large stacks, one to the right gable, one in the cross-passage position on the left of the porch and the third is a lateral stack behind the ridge on the left. Right return gable has a small window to either floor and a small modern lean-to.
The wing to the left has a 3-light window with arched heads on each floor facing north. The gable end facing east has two more windows with an additional 2-light one in the attic, moulded stone finial to gable. The south return has a 2-light one on either floor and a large external stack with two circular Victorian shafts, a C20 single storey wing projects here. Behind the added wing the main house has three more modern casements, two on the first floor and one above.
Rear elevation (west): The ground floor is mostly hidden by a c2000 lean-to kitchen extension and conservatory. One modern 3-light window to left above this, also the projecting stair turret beside the cross-passage door and a large lateral stack to the right. The rear of the wing has a small casement to each floor, the first floor one below the remains of an earlier dripmould.
Only the ground floor of the main range was seen at resurvey. This has seen changes from its original planning which must have had the parlour at the north end and the service end on the south (see History). The three ground floor rooms in the main range have large fireplaces with chamfered stone jambs and oak lintels, newel stair beside the central one; straight flight stair round solid core in wing. The south-east room on the first floor of the wing is reported to have a Bath stone fireplace with a C19 plaster inscription 'A.N.D.N. 1581' over it, this was in place by 1853. The doorway from the stair into this room has a shaped head characteristic of the second quarter of the C17. There is also some imported early C17 panelling and some C17 painted plasterwork in other rooms.
Included as a late C16 to C17 farmhouse with an interesting development, retaining features from several periods, but all with consistent Tudor Gothic character.
Other nearby listed buildings