This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6383 / 51°38'18"N
Longitude: -2.9052 / 2°54'18"W
OS Eastings: 337450
OS Northings: 193670
OS Grid: ST374936
Mapcode National: GBR J9.7XMB
Mapcode Global: VH7B7.L2GW
Entry Name: Great House
Listing Date: 18 November 1980
Last Amended: 6 December 2005
Source ID: 2700
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the west side of the minor road which follows the course of the river Usk from Tredunnock to Llanhennock and set above it on a east facing hillside.
Community: Llanhennock (Llanhenwg)
Built-Up Area: Caerleon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A large farmhouse, which is said to have been built c1520 by John Morgan, whose descendants lived here till the later C19, but nothing of this early date is now in evidence. A tablet 'W[illiam?] M[organ?] AD 1600' (set over the probably late Victorian porch) on the yard side of the house, probably gives the period of the existing earlier fabric. A fire in c1900 led to much reconstruction, but part of the main fabric, and some of the features, appear to date from c1600, or earlier. The south-west end is probably an addition of c1900 although the coursing runs through and it may just be more rebuilt than the rest. The house has remained almost unaltered since.
Built of roughly squared thin coursed red sandstone rubble with Welsh slate roofs and stone stacks. Rectangular range facing north-east with addition with lower roofline to left and a lean-to on both gable ends. Part single and part double depth plan in a muted Tudor style. Two and two and a half storeys (top one rebuilt, probably after fire).
Garden elevation (north-east) is in five bays with the first on the left set back with a lower roofline (see History) and the last on the right also set back but with the same ridgeline as the main house. The first bay has a mullion-and-transom casement with a recessed cambered head below and a smaller one above. Steeply pitched roof with stack to gable. The second bay has an apparently original 3-light stone mullioned window with arched heads, sunk spandrels, iron cames and hoodmould on ground floor and a 3-light early C17 type mullioned casement above; the Tudor window is of late Perpendicular character and may date from earlier in the C16. The central bay is blind except for the attic floor which has a casement in an arched head and scalloped bargeboarded gable above. Next comes a recessed rebuilt 'Tudor' arched porch which has a probably original 'Tudor' head to inner door; over the outer arch is a datestone 'W.H.M 1904'. Above this is a narrow window with C20 joinery. The single flight stair, probably added in C17, as reported in the previous list description (1980), has gone. The final bay has a replacement cross-mullioned window in an arched head, with an inserted 3-light window above and a replacement 2-light one in an arched head above again. Steeply pitched roof with three tall stacks, to each gable and in the centre.
Both return gables have lean-to additions of differing dates.
The yard elevation (south-west) is of similar character but differently detailed. The front is in one plane with a string course at first floor cill level to the right hand two-thirds. The ground floor has a cross-mullioned window to the left, then a Victorian gabled porch with a panel with a relief rampant griffon and W M A.D. 1600. Then comes a 2-light Tudor mullioned window with arched headed light, sunk spandrels, iron cames and hoodmould wirh decorated stops over. Finally two small arched lights in the possibly later part. The first floor has a 2-light casement, a small window, a 2-light mullion-and-transom casement with hoodmould and another similar but without hoodmould under the lower eaves of the wing. The attic floor has two 2-light casements as half dormers with scalloped bargeboards to the gables.
The interior was not available at resurvey, but it is reported to have several 'Tudor' arches and the remains of stone spiral stair.
Included as a farmhouse with C17 origins, and good local vernacular revival character.
Other nearby listed buildings