This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9241 / 52°55'26"N
Longitude: -4.1306 / 4°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 256865
OS Northings: 338422
OS Grid: SH568384
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYXP
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR8P
Entry Name: No.20 Cornhill,,,,,gwynedd,
Listing Date: 1 April 1974
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4421
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In a row of terraced houses on the N side of Cornhill
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.
No 20 Cornhill was built in the second quarter of the C19 and shown on the 1842 Tithe map, 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey.
Built in a range with No 21 (and Nos 1-3 Lombard Street), a 3-storey 2-window house of large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof and stone stack to the L. Openings are offset to the R and have raised cement-render surrounds. On the R is a recessed half-glazed door. Windows are replacements in original openings.
The rear is pebble-dashed and has replacement windows.
Listed, notwithstanding window alteration, as a C19 town house which forms part of a terrace in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings