This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9393 / 52°56'21"N
Longitude: -4.1418 / 4°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 256161
OS Northings: 340138
OS Grid: SH561401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVRQ
Mapcode Global: WH55L.BDY0
Entry Name: Nos.6,8,10 & 12 Market Square,tremadog,,,,,gwynedd,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4462
Building Class: Domestic
Location: A terraced house on the W side of Market Square immediately S of Dublin Lane.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. No 6 Market Square was part of this first phase of development, and was built as a pair with No 8.
A 2-storey double-fronted house of large roughly coursed and squared blocks of quarried stone with large slate-stone lintels, slate roof on projecting eaves, with 3 skylights and stone end stacks. Openings have raised cement surrounds. The entrance is offset to the L of centre has a replacement half-glazed boarded door. Windows are renewed 4-pane horned sashes of late C19 type, and in the lower storey they have wrought-iron grilles.
The rear is rendered. It has an added outshut on the R side, with eaves stack, and attached 1-storey gabled rear wing with tall stone stack. To the L of the outshut are 2 1-storey lean-tos.
Listed for its special architectural interest as an early C19 house forming part of the original development of Tremadog, with definite character in its use of local stone and retention of C19 detail. An integral component of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings